Miocene dolphin jaw? Looking for ID/confirmation

dsaavedra

Yesterday I found a Y-shaped bone fragment on the beach along the Calvert Cliffs in Maryland, USA (Miocene epoch, Calvert fm.). It is approximately 6.7 centimeters long, 3.1 centimeters wide at the forked end, and 1 centimeter wide at the narrow end. I have an inclination that it could be a fragment of a dolphin jaw where the lower mandibles fuse together but would like some other opinions for confirmation or a better ID. 

Ventral view (presumably)

20240116_170544.thumb.jpg.4690794973891a78ef5acbe9506773ab.jpg

Dorsal view (presumably) - this side is fractured, exposing the concave interior of the bone

20240116_170551.thumb.jpg.1f670ee0e9f8d729adfc22548d0e94d3.jpg

Right lateral view (presumably)

20240116_173930.thumb.jpg.9363abc5bbdf1c3788894bc841534eec.jpg

I found some photos of a living species, Pontoporia blainvillei, that is endemic to Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina and bears a strong resemblance to my fossil. For reference, here is a high quality photo of Pontoporia blainvillei skull

💀 Pontoporia blainvillei

Holding my fossil in front of the photo suggests a good match:

20240116_170857.thumb.jpg.9bba14d94c0358c1dbe620dbe260baa9.jpg

So does pontoporiid dolphin jaw seem like the correct ID? Is there any way to identify it further? Thanks in advance and my apologies if I left anything out - this is my first ID post. I'll be happy to provide more info/pictures if needed.

• Enjoyed 4

Correct; lower element of a dolphin rostrum. The Maryland Geological Survey Miocene text/plates list this as Priscodelphinus (?) crassanulum.  The Pontoporiidae are river/estsuarine dophins with an exaggerated long rostrum and small peg-like teeth.  Yours find is a very good match, as the Maryland Miocene forms seem to have occupied the same ecological niche.

Attached is the plate from the MGS Miocene volume and very fragmented dolphin lower rostrum that I found in the Calvert Fm for comparison. Nice find!

Image1-10_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0066_0394_edited-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

Nice dolphin jaw!

thanks!  unfortunately broken more times than a Russian promise......:)

• Enjoyed 1

Very nice!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Just a little follow-up:  check out The Fossil Guy's website on Miocene finds.  This Eurhynodelphis from the Calvert may match your find perfectly.  Hope this helps.

Fossilguy.com: Eurhinodelphis - The Long-Snouted Dolphin - Facts, Information, and Fossil Examples

image.png.4a66e53927d5b2a1470a54078eac510e.png

Edited by ted coulianos
  • I found this Informative 1

Definitely a dolphin lower jaw. Unfortunately, it looks like all the characteristics used to identify it further are not present. These would include length, size of teeth or tooth sockets, spacing of teeth, etc. Almost all the Miocene dolphins would have a symphysis area that looks like this. Eurhinodelphis is now considered to be solely a European genus. The genus name for American species is Xiphiacetis, and it is the most common dolphin found in the Calvert Formation. You could take it to the Calvert Marine Museum and show it to Stephen Godfrey, but I'm pretty sure he will tell you the same thing.

Thanks for the confirmation and additional info. I was looking for a match on the Fossil Guy website but I couldn't find one, clearly I was looking in the wrong part of the site. Seeing as Xiphiacetus is the most commonly found dolphin species in the Calvert formation, that seems like a good bet!