Need help identifying please,

BrittanyM

I’m no expert but from the looks of the Porous surface, I’m thinking some type of bone, can anyone please help my identify this please also is there a way to tell what era from the color? 

IMG_6004.jpeg

IMG_5999.jpeg

IMG_5998.jpeg

IMG_6002.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Without age, location, formation etc etc,  specimen is so fragmentary that no positive id can be made other than "nondescript bone"

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome Brittany, 

Ted is correct ,  we can be magicians,  and would need more info...  In this case , I will accept your tag Mississippi as where these fossil came from..  

Also,  since we have members from all over the world,  it is just courteous to show sizes in millemeters.IMG_4820.thumb.JPG.4f51a8e21d27a029e79014ce7891cce1.JPG

I have hunted Florida for a long time.  Some fossils have porous cells and some do not ..  Think of osteoderms... (alligator, Glyptodon, giant armadillo),  or hoofcores or kneecaps (patellas),  or turtle /tortoise shell.  I find many fossil pieces of turtle/tortoise shell that look very similar to your first piece.

Marine Mammals have porous bones because they are lighter ... so whale, dolphin, and even sea turtles ,  which admittedly are not mammals..

So when you get down to little pieces, they are not identifiable ...  Mostl likely tortoise shell..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

40 minutes ago, ted coulianos said:

Without age, location, formation etc etc,  specimen is so fragmentary that no positive id can be made other than "nondescript bone"

Tombigbee River is the location, age is what I’m looking for along with what type of bone. 

I don't think there is enough there to say more than bone chunk, indeterminate.

We tend to jokingly call these chunk-o-saurs, or chunk-o-theres.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

29 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Welcome Brittany, 

Ted is correct ,  we can be magicians,  and would need more info...  In this case , I will accept your tag Mississippi as where these fossil came from..  

Also,  since we have members from all over the world,  it is just courteous to show sizes in millemeters.IMG_4820.thumb.JPG.4f51a8e21d27a029e79014ce7891cce1.JPG

I have hunted Florida for a long time.  Some fossils have porous cells and some do not ..  Think of osteoderms... (alligator, Glyptodon, giant armadillo),  or hoofcores or kneecaps (patellas),  or turtle /tortoise shell.  I find many fossil pieces of turtle/tortoise shell that look very similar to your first piece.

Marine Mammals have porous bones because they are lighter ... so whale, dolphin, and even sea turtles ,  which admittedly are not mammals..

So when you get down to little pieces, they are not identifiable ...  Mostl likely tortoise shell..

Tombigbee River is the exact location and thank you for the other information 

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

I don't think there is enough there to say more than bone chunk, indet.

We tend to jokingly call these chunk-o-saurs, or chunk-o-theres.

But in fact is it bone? And possible old bone? 

Most likely old bone. 

You could perform a burn test to determine if it is fossilized.
Hold the bone to a flame. If it burns at all, or gives off a burnt hair type of odor, it is modern. If not, it is a fossil.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Most likely old bone. 

You could perform a burn test to determine if it is fossilized.
Hold the bone to a flame. If it burns at all, or gives off a burnt hair type of odor, it is modern. If not, it is a fossil.

Did not know that! 

• Enjoyed 1

5 minutes ago, BrittanyM said:

Tombigbee River is the exact location and thank you for the other information 

So as to age,,,  Looks like you have potential finds from the last 50 million years...

TomBigBee.thumb.jpg.0850769116f8b5aa935cabfbb5fc33ee.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

So as to age,,,  Looks like you have potential finds from the last 50 million years...

TomBigBee.thumb.jpg.0850769116f8b5aa935cabfbb5fc33ee.jpg

Awesome we have gotten some amazing pieces from here, thank you so much for this! The smaller ones are hard to identify I know but I have a (smalls collection) I try to gather the smaller ones too. Every bit of History counts! 

• I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, BrittanyM said:

Awesome we have gotten some amazing pieces from here, thank you so much for this! The smaller ones are hard to identify I know but I have a (smalls collection) I try to gather the smaller ones too. Every bit of History counts! 

I like small , also.  Please post some of your finds ,  Jack

smallMeg.jpg.ea99a23997bb8dadf6e5593a7b8f2db0.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

5 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I like small , also.  Please post some of your finds ,  Jack

smallMeg.jpg.ea99a23997bb8dadf6e5593a7b8f2db0.jpg

Here is one of my very small finds also from Tombigbee River  

IMG_5995.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

2 minutes ago, BrittanyM said:

Here is one of my very small finds also from Tombigbee River  

Nice. These are Eocene shark teeth.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Nice. These are Eocene shark teeth.

2 tigers and 1 mackerel?? 

53 minutes ago, BrittanyM said:

Upper left is Galeocerdo eaglesomei, bottom is Physogaleus secundus, and the last might be Tethylamna.

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, BrittanyM said:

How do you like TFF answers so far, Brittany ? It is why I love this forum...

17 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

How do you like TFF answers so far, Brittany ? It is why I love this forum...

It’s very informative, I like it so far! 

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Upper left is Galeocerdo eaglesomei, bottom is Physogaleus secundus, and the last might be Tethylamna.

I thought so thank you