Heavy strange rock with lumps and bone?

Pepe12

• New Members

We live in Southwest Michigan. We have a large barn filled with miscellaneous things including many large rocks collected over the years.  We have no idea where this one might be from- possibly belonged to our Aunt from Chicago who spent time in Australia, Hawaii and Florida (sorry I know that doesn't help I'm just trying to give details).  I really love this rock, and would appreciate any thoughts!  I have the utmost respect for paleontology, and zero experience in this field unfortunately, so I do not know how to look at this with educated eyes. Knowing this, forgive me as I describe what I see:

The rock is very heavy (20 lbs) and appears to have metal or iron embedded in certain spot areas. In those particular areas (of iron) it is shiny, slippery and smooth. All other areas are rough, rock like.  There are a few tiny bright green flecks that look like gemstone, as well as little crystal flecks at the flat end where it appears to have been broken off. Opposite that end, at the more narrow end, there is a series of something that looks like it could have been alive- a tiny spine or something?  A long bug? Additionally there is a mark in the center that stands out almost heart shaped that is interesting in appearance as well.  I have it positioned on a round placemat that is 15 inches across. It is so heavy that if I pull the placemat across the granite, it feels like it's cutting or scraping the granite surface. Thanks in advance, looking forward to your comments! 

IMG_7671.jpeg

IMG_7673.jpeg

IMG_7674.jpeg

IMG_7668.jpeg

It certainly is an interesting rock. Unfortunately, it looks like just a concretion, so no bone or any other fossils are visible. Concretions, especially heavy ones, can sometimes contain fossils inside, but considering your location, this is unlikely.

Edited by patelinho7
  • I Agree 2

Although it's difficult to judge from these photos, I would tend to agree with patelhino and say that I don't think there are any fossils in this rock. However, if you really want to know for sure, then flex your muscles and take it along to your nearest natural history museum and show it to the resident geologist who can surely tell you more about it.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Heavy rock with lumps. No bone. Occurs frequently. Can be deceiving at times.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!