Whats Your Best Find?

kolleamm

please post your best find along with its age, im really curious to see what you guys post! :)

This is like asking what's your favorite Grateful Dead song. Depends on the day or the mood. OK, Led Zeppelin will do...

On the other hand, the best fossil I've ever prepared is a small Cretaceous crocodile skeleton I did last year for my friends at Ohio U. Sorry no pix until it is published. Or wait. maybe its the Lepticits skelton I prepared many years ago. This one's one of the prides of my collection.

the first pic shows the skeleton, the second is the block witht the skull in it. This is Oligocene White River Fm of Wyoming. Finding stuff like this is one of the joys of living here.

post-1450-020868800 1277353570_thumb.jpg

post-1450-002151100 1277353583_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpc

Kolleamm...... yes a tough question.... I'm afraid I cant pin it down to one, and to be honest I'm struggling tying it down to two.....

The first is a North Somerset Coast Nautilus (cenoceras) with an Arietites ammonite leaning on it.... I looked up to the sky when I found it and its special to me for so many reasons besides being TOTALLY irreplaceable .... If someone said grab a fossil and run this would be it..... Its Lower Jurassic 195 myo....

post-1630-047753400 1277367201_thumb.jpg

The second is Sulciferites cf. greenoughi (Sowerby). , I walked past this MANY times sat on the beach poking out of the rock.... so did thousands of others.... one day when pickings were slim, I had a 'propper' look.... Glad I did now..... its roughly the same age as the Nautilus....

post-1630-057643900 1277367235_thumb.jpg post-1630-042112600 1277367260_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Perhaps this one is not the most impressive or big, but it is the rarest find I have done in my local outcrop. Is so rare, that now is on the local museum! It was found last year, during my summer holidays.

Hexanchus Griseus shark teeth (six gill shark). Very rare on Pliocene age, this was found on early (Zanclean)spot.Malaga region.

post-62-074457300 1277370585_thumb.jpg

In the invert discoveries, I think, a very big Conus Mercatii(exclusive Pliocene Conus shell), that was found 5 years ago.The preservation is not the best, but it was my first Conus ever found! It was found somewhere in Malaga region (I will preserve the location!)

Everyone here has some very impressive finds, congrats everyone, and a job well done on finding them!

Great stuff! Let's hope this continues on.

I've got a number of favorites, but this one's rather special since this specimen represents the hitherto stratigraphically oldest record of the genus Emileia in Germany and one of the oldest records worldwide. It should be getting published this winter.

Emileia contrahens. Ovale Zone, Bajocian, Middle Jurassic. From the Wutach area in south Germany.

Best wishes, Roger.

post-2384-052860100 1277408710_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I feel like I've posted this tooth too many times by now, but this would have to be my best find so far.

Xiphodolamia ensis, from Shark River in Neptune, NJ.

PICT0012-2.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

JP I really need to go hang out with you and pick up your scraps and it would be Chinacat sunflower or going to california ;)

Stonebreaker.... indeed a Chinacat is always a topnotch choice. If you ever get the chance to come down this way some weekend call me at work and maybe we can figure something out, but I'm not guaranteeing anything... Next year's Tate Conference will likely include a field trip to where the Leptictis came from.

my best find was my wife, prolly, and i think she's around fifty, but i'm not posting a picture of her online...

as far as my best fossil find, i don't have any, because my son walks beside me and leaps on everything good like it's a live grenade, only without the altruism. tj, you too lazy to post your best find? he's been "busy" lately. not sure doing what...

post-488-037228300 1277467397_thumb.jpg

it was a good day when he found the big old eremotherium tooth, because finding those isn't common in our part of the world. i can count on one flingure how often we've found those...

course that t-rex skeleton he found is cool too... :mellow:

My best find is my Wife and I wont say how old

But all my fossils are the best

This isn't a particularly rare item in it self. However, the locality (S.Fla) makes this a rare find. Plus the site (in Parkland-Broward CO) is now completely developed which makes this Mammoth tooth the only one that will ever be found there. Finally, there is the pleasure I got from finding this when hunting with my friend, who is one of those annoying people that finds everything. The age is under 10,000 yrs.

post-1313-001868000 1277579987_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Hey Grampa!

Nice to see some Canadian humor slipping in here ;), eh?

right on, EH wink.gif

My best find is a Tapir tooth. Although pritty common in the USA, it is a super rare find in Europe. In my country (The Netherlands), it's the second fossil of a Tapir one ever found. The first fossil was found in 1930. In was a jaw with 9 teeth init. The person who found it didn't know what it was an took the teeh out of the jaw. He put the teeth in his pocket and threw the jaw away. In his pocket there was a hole and so he lost two teeth. The other seven one are now located in the museum of natural historie in Maastricht. These teeth are all very, very damaged.

The one i found is from a totally different location, and it's assumed to be much older. So maybe they have to rewrite Dutch history. It's now in the museum of natural historie "NATURALIS" on lone. At this moment they are doing a research on it. A paper problably will be published later.

post-479-026998900 1278273798_thumb.jpg

post-479-043631900 1278273836_thumb.jpg

post-479-042514000 1278273913_thumb.jpg

My best is certainly that it finds:

img5208z.th.jpg

sorry for picture but is difficult...

Size: 15mm

Source: South West France, Charente (16)

Ages: Berriasian, Early Cretaceous, 4--140.2 -145.5 ± ± 3 Ma

Rating:

Kingdom: Animalia

Class: Archosauria

Order: Saurischia

Sub-Order: Theropoda

Family: Dromaeosauridae?

There could be a Dromaeosauridae like Velociraptor Asia after publication of Smith 2005. This is a tooth very rare, such remains are exceptional in France. The place of discovery and very similar to the level that can be found on the coast of England.

Sorry for my english

Edited by Vari Raptor

Ignorance is bliss...

facebook.com/TheStoneHouse.fr

i will admit that the big daddy sloth tooth is one of my favorite finds, but the other favorite would have to be my first "mega fauna" tooth. it is fairly rare for texas, and although it isn't complete the coloration and preservation are very nice and i really like it.

post-936-027765700 1278285769_thumb.jpg

my other favorite would have to be the tooth in the center of this photo. based on my time looking and what i know about texas, i would consider it quite rare and it definitely makes my itty bitty shark tooth collection complete.

post-936-015337200 1278286151_thumb.jpg

This a Astraeospongia meniscus from the middel devonian period and found in linn county, IA. I found it as is (no prep work), and it is probably the best fossil of its species ever found (not confermed). It even beats out the two displayed in the smisonian (sory cant spell today) by a long shot.

post-2572-036599300 1278827765_thumb.jpg

post-2572-054621500 1278827782_thumb.jpg

post-2572-015610800 1278827752_thumb.jpg

-Frozen

PS And mine is the oldest in this thread so far!!! It is around 370-390 million years old

Edited by frozen_turkey

I didn't realize it until recently but there are quite a few people who collect fossil cowries but are not really interested in shells in general. I was visiting a friend, also a fossil collector, when another friend brought some material to show him. There were a couple of nice ammonites and some vertebrate pieces, but my friend immediately asked about the Pleistocene cowry from Indonesia - nice brown color. I heard about at least two other collectors who look for cowries from different parts of the world.

I didn't realize it until recently but there are quite a few people who collect fossil cowries but are not really interested in shells in general. I was visiting a friend, also a fossil collector, when another friend brought some material to show him. There were a couple of nice ammonites and some vertebrate pieces, but my friend immediately asked about the Pleistocene cowry from Indonesia - nice brown color. I heard about at least two other collectors who look for cowries from different parts of the world.

Yes, there are people crazy about cowries.

This cowrie is left-handed (sinistral) specimen, it is the only one I saw in my life. I or my wife (we are not sure)found this beauty in a road-side gravel dump in Florida.

post-1112-098952100 1279263959_thumb.jpg

post-1112-060752400 1279263979_thumb.jpg

post-1112-083932400 1279265560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

• 4 weeks later...

I know this topic is old - but it is so general a title that it remained relevant. So it was better to post here than to create a new topicMy very best discoveries may be the two inclusions here - both are possible new species.Inclusion are in New Jersey amber (90-94 MYO). At present, for examination at AMNH (http://www.amnh.org/) with David Grimaldi. One is a wingless female of a scale insect - 3 mm and the other male scale insect - 1 mm. Both are extremely rare, but a wingless female of a scale insect is extremly! rare, just in itself. (If you want to see more from New Jersey amber, I just made a gallery with some of my pictures).

post-3458-007250100 1281425753_thumb.jpg

post-3458-038203400 1281425764_thumb.jpg

Edited by amber-inclusions.dk

AMBER - A window to the past... www.amber-inclusions.dk