Mochaccino

Hello,

This is another old collection piece without provenance, and I was hoping someone could tell me if they recognize anything or guess its age. It's a plate of bryozoans, but I think I see a couple starfish peeking out from underneath.

IMG_0915.thumb.jpeg.e3b2b522f6aa38867a8627f9a91d4a6c.jpegIMG_0916.thumb.jpeg.68984f55e5be47531b4b7c0e9b593c32.jpegIMG_0917.thumb.jpeg.13799881a2e27056745d8a484481d489.jpegIMG_0918.thumb.jpeg.3239bb5b636ea1259be5db3b324ea2eb.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9
  • I Agree 1

the starfishes are great, I think it is possible to prep them (KOH or airbrasive)

reminds me to Thamnopora from the Martin Formation of Verde Valley, Arizona

Have seen a slab with starfishes from there some years ago

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 1

It is a very interesting piece. Has alot going on.:JC_doubleup:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Certainly looks similar to lots of Cincinnatian rocks. I suspect cleaning up the brachiopods would be the best route to ID.

• I Agree 2

I have a piece with similar bryozoans from the Mtn. Lake Mbr of the Bromide Fm. Apologies for the blurry photo.IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.efff9195d1a96818ff82a2d0e9a4d1f9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

On 2/6/2024 at 2:25 AM, rocket said:

the starfishes are great, I think it is possible to prep them (KOH or airbrasive)

reminds me to Thamnopora from the Martin Formation of Verde Valley, Arizona

Have seen a slab with starfishes from there some years ago

On 2/6/2024 at 5:41 AM, Isotelus2883 said:

Bromide formation Echinoderm layer?

On 2/6/2024 at 7:58 AM, connorp said:

Certainly looks similar to lots of Cincinnatian rocks. I suspect cleaning up the brachiopods would be the best route to ID.

18 hours ago, Isotelus2883 said:

I have a piece with similar bryozoans from the Mtn. Lake Mbr of the Bromide Fm. Apologies for the blurry photo.IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.efff9195d1a96818ff82a2d0e9a4d1f9.jpeg

Thanks everyone! Looks like a few possible candidate localities it could be. The starfish seem worth cleaning out so I'll reassess after some prep.

• I Agree 1

I think the twigg-like fossils are bryozoans, not Thamnopora corals.   Certainly the Martin Formation Thamnopora have larger corallites relative to the size of the "twigs", and have a rougher appearance.  Also for what it's worth I have never heard or seen any publications mentioning articulated echinoderm material, much less starfish, in the Martin.  All my Martin material was in dolomite limestone, and the fossils were all silified and had to be prepped with acid. @DPS Ammonite may be able to comment as he is very familiar with the Martin and the Verde Valley.

Don

24 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think the twigg-like fossils are bryozoans, not Thamnopora corals.   Certainly the Martin Formation Thamnopora have larger corallites relative to the size of the "twigs", and have a rougher appearance.  Also for what it's worth I have never heard or seen any publications mentioning articulated echinoderm material, much less starfish, in the Martin.  All my Martin material was in dolomite limestone, and the fossils were all silified and had to be prepped with acid. @DPS Ammonite may be able to comment as he is very familiar with the Martin and the Verde Valley.

Don

I agree with Don; not Thamnopora from the Martin Formation. Would love to see purported starfish from the Martin.

See Thamnopora from Chasm Creek in the Verde Valley, Arizona.

IMG_0123.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.