Bronzviking

Hi Fossil Hunters,
These finds are quite the mystery to me. I found them on a Tampa Bay Beach,  Florida,  at different times but they look alike.

One side looks like wood grain. The flip side looks smooth and shiny. The edges appear milky pearly white and jagged.

All 3 are slightly curved. At first glance I thought they were a stingray barb, then some type of worked seashell. Ruled them out.

Are they a man-made tool or natural? What is the material? Petrified wood?

Possibly mammoth bark or is this wishful thinking, lol. Please help. Thanks!

DSC084591.jpg

DSC084561.jpg

DSC084601.jpg

DSC084641.jpg

DSC084691.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

It dosent look like any kind of worked material but my specialty is in southwestern archeology so I could be wrong. Does it glow under UV? 

12 hours ago, Dinodads said:

It dosent look like any kind of worked material but my specialty is in southwestern archeology so I could be wrong. Does it glow under UV? 

No, It doesn't glow. What would that tell you? Thanks for looking.

30 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

No, It doesn't glow. What would that tell you? Thanks for looking.

UV reacts with fossil it excites the organic compounds causing them to glow! Here is a paper on this reserch with what UV lights they use but works on just about any organic material. 

Palaeontology - 2004 - Croft - A New Method for Finding Small Vertebrate Fossils Ultraviolet Light At Night (1) (1).pdf

7 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Hey guys, can you take a look at these when you get a chance? Thanks! @Harry Pristis @Plantguy @Shellseeker

I looked at this and immediately (off the 1st photo) thought fossilized wood....

Your 2nd photo,  the opposite sides,...  just confused me.... Certainly in Florida transformations into silica or agate can occur anywhere  but I am unsure that happened here.. Like Harry, I have not previously seen anything like these.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 2/14/2024 at 1:35 PM, Harry Pristis said:

I looked.  From the images, I dunno what these finds are.  :Confused05:

Wow, if you don't know I'm really curious now! I saw a deer antler photo and it looked woody. Could it be chard's off an antler?

On 2/14/2024 at 7:10 PM, Shellseeker said:

I looked at this and immediately (off the 1st photo) thought fossilized wood....

Your 2nd photo,  the opposite sides,...  just confused me.... Certainly in Florida transformations into silica or agate can occur anywhere  but I am unsure that happened here.. Like Harry, I have not previously seen anything like these.

Yes I never seen anything like it either. Definitely not agatized coral or agate.

I saw a deer antler photo and it looked woody-like. Could it be chard's off an antler?

Hiya! Fellow bay area beachcomber here. I do wildlife observation for local parks and therefore pick up a lot of beach bone. In my experience (with the exception of the submerged finds experts find off Casperson beach, etc) 99% of bone found on shore will be white due to the bleaching of sun and salt, not brown/black like those found in inland fossil deposits like the peace river- bone is exposed post burial in mineral rich sediment.

Anyway, this is a tough one but my guess would be either aged wood debris from old submerged marine infrastructure like dock/ sea wall/ artificial reef that an encrusting invert like a tube worm or coral has fused itself to.  Second guess is maybe a weathered piece of a heavy old pen shell? Those shards have catfished me many a time. Lol.  

Fingers crossed someone solves this mystery bit! 

Jena

🪸🔬🤞

IMG_3884.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/16/2024 at 1:02 PM, totallydigsit said:

Hiya! Fellow bay area beachcomber here. I do wildlife observation for local parks and therefore pick up a lot of beach bone. In my experience (with the exception of the submerged finds experts find off Casperson beach, etc) 99% of bone found on shore will be white due to the bleaching of sun and salt, not brown/black like those found in inland fossil deposits like the peace river- bone is exposed post burial in mineral rich sediment.

Anyway, this is a tough one but my guess would be either aged wood debris from old submerged marine infrastructure like dock/ sea wall/ artificial reef that an encrusting invert like a tube worm or coral has fused itself to.  Second guess is maybe a weathered piece of a heavy old pen shell? Those shards have catfished me many a time. Lol.  

Fingers crossed someone solves this mystery bit! 

Jena

🪸🔬🤞

IMG_3884.jpeg

Hi Jena, Welcome to TFF. That sounds like a fun job. Have you found shark teeth?

I agree most of the bone I found is white but I do find fossilized black bone on the beaches here as well.

I just posted one. https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/139433-florida-cetacean-vertebra-fragment/

As far as these finds I had thought Pen shell as well but the pattern and texture doesn't match now.

Like you said the material could be worn and weathered beyond recognition?

Thanks for your input. Lynn

• Thank You 1

Hi Lynn,

I started and tried posting my 2cents earlier this week and failed to get it entered. my bad...I even had a couple nights sleep which is rare and havent come up with anything new/earth shattering.

I have no certainty but I do think the splintered/fibrous first pieces do look like wood as Jack mentioned. I have a larger fragment somewhere. What is/are the relative hardness for these pieces? Are they relatively hard to scratch with a knife? i

Have you tested those pieces or any of the other specimens with dilute HCL to see if they are calcareous?  The one darker specimen looked cherty but that could also be some limestone. The one frag that has the linear features and the fibrous makeup does remind me of a section from a large fossil replaced shell like Jena suggested..Here's a photo of a much smaller Arcinella fragment that I have but its the only example I have to easily photograph. There are some larger Mercenaria pieces and other inverts that may fit the bill... 

Spinycockleshellfragmentcloseupreplacement.thumb.jpg.837c78d54220b21fd71796ee43456412.jpg

Wish I had more...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:19 PM, Plantguy said:

Hi Lynn,

I started and tried posting my 2cents earlier this week and failed to get it entered. my bad...I even had a couple nights sleep which is rare and havent come up with anything new/earth shattering.

I have no certainty but I do think the splintered/fibrous first pieces do look like wood as Jack mentioned. I have a larger fragment somewhere. What is/are the relative hardness for these pieces? Are they relatively hard to scratch with a knife? i

Have you tested those pieces or any of the other specimens with dilute HCL to see if they are calcareous?  The one darker specimen looked cherty but that could also be some limestone. The one frag that has the linear features and the fibrous makeup does remind me of a section from a large fossil replaced shell like Jena suggested..Here's a photo of a much smaller Arcinella fragment that I have but its the only example I have to easily photograph. There are some larger Mercenaria pieces and other inverts that may fit the bill... 

Spinycockleshellfragmentcloseupreplacement.thumb.jpg.837c78d54220b21fd71796ee43456412.jpg

Wish I had more...

Regards, Chris 

There are 3 specimens. The first pic wood-like and the second pic (shell-like) is the flip side of these 3. I did a strength test before I photographed and unfortunately snapped the bottom one in half...oops. They are pretty sturdy though but I think they are getting brittle sitting out in the air. I haven't done an acid test. Don't have any HCL. Thanks for your 2 cents Chris, lol.

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2024 at 11:39 AM, Bronzviking said:

I did a strength test

Never heard of this test before.

The test you should do is a hardness test, see if they scratch with a knife.

I think all three pieces are petrified wood.

:Cry:

I'm in the petrified wood camp myself.... Can we get close up pictures of the ends?

To me the circular pattern of the middle specimen is most intriguing.  Could it be a fish jaw?  Fish bone can be fibrous and splintery.  I agree with Randyw that a closeup of the ends could be helpful.  Especially the freshly broken ends.

On 5/19/2024 at 10:28 AM, ynot said:

Never heard of this test before.

The test you should do is a hardness test, see if they scratch with a knife.

I think all three pieces are petrified wood.

I scratched the third piece in the second photo with an exacto knife. What does this tell us?

On 5/19/2024 at 2:10 PM, Randyw said:

I'm in the petrified wood camp myself.... Can we get close up pictures of the ends?

I tried to photograph the ends but they're too tiny but I will try again.

2 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

I scratched the third piece in the second photo with an exacto knife. What does this tell us?

That the mineral that replaced the piece is not quartz. (if it is a scratch and not a streak left by the knife).

By determining the hardness of a mineral it tells us what minerals it may be and which it is not.

I only mentioned it because of your "strength test"- which tells us that the piece was cracked before you tried too break it.

:Cry: