Does sunlight damage fossils?

syl1219s

Hi!

When display fossils, does sunlight damage fossils?

Is there anything I need to be careful about when display fossils? like moisture

Depends.

Most of the fossils are stabile, you will not get problems with sunlight or moderate temperature changes.

A fossil prepped with a transfer method (like some fishes) do have resin as new matrix. This could get problems with too much sun (too much means, long time direct sunlight and warm), but with the most fossils there will be no problems at all.

• Thank You 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Does sunlight damage fossils?

If you have fossils containing pyrite, moisture and oxygen can cause pyrite decay when it starts to oxidise.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Sunlight will bleach vertebrate fossils.

Direct and indirect light? Or just direct sunlight?

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

6 hours ago, FB003 said:

Direct and indirect light? Or just direct sunlight?

Bleaching is caused when energy is transmitted (mostly by UV) to the pigment causing it to oxinate and brake up.

More light means more energy.

Windows for example blocks short wave uv light quite well, but long wave ones get through. Sadly most UV is long wavelength ones since it passes better through clouds etc.

But more you can block it, less bleaching.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Prolonged exposure to the UV in sunlight will absolutely affect fossils - not just by bleaching the vertebrate ones as stated above, since the same may happen too shells too, for example. Also, any chemical substance used to prepare or repair the fossil with, including glue or trace chemicals, may react or break down under UV. This effect may be mitigated by using UV-foil on cabinet or windows to block UV-light from the sun.

10 hours ago, North said:

If you have fossils containing pyrite, moisture and oxygen can cause pyrite decay when it starts to oxidise.

This is certainly another risk to watch out for - especially oxygen is a culprit here, less so than moisture. Again, this risk can be mitigated by storing such fossils in a closed container with oxygen-scavengers.

Generally, however, the most important thing for maintaining a collection is to store it in a stable environment, with few changes in light, temperature and moisture. Because variations in any of these can cause micro-weathering, which will eventually cause damage to fossils... In this, air moisture should be kept to between 30-60% to ensure the air is neither to moist nor too dry.

• I Agree 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Years ago I collected about 12 feet (4 meters) of a petrified tree, in one foot long sections.  When I found it n the surface the wood was orange-ish.  I dug after it and the first few feet were the same color.  As I got deeper into the ground, the fossil was dark brown.  I brought the thing home and laid it out in my yard, as it was too big to bring inside. Within two weeks, the brown pieces had turned orange.  Two weeks.