How To Identify Dino-Poop?

brucemc

Is there a resource on how to identify if a "find" is coprolite? I found a small (maybe 6" x 3" x 3", +/- ) black-gray rock that looks something like the old joke-store doggy-poop but rather heavy, and I figure it is either from a cooled off hot flow from a volcano, or, well, from a creature long ago.

I don't know whether there's a field guide to coprolites, but I kinda' doubt it...

If you can post a couple good pics (with something for scale), we can give it a go; make mention of where it was found, too, so we can get a handle on the source formation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

After a little reading it does not seem too promising as we are in northern Colorado Springs and it would seem the area is best known for fossilized leaves and bugs, so unless it was from a really big mosquito..., but I will still take a few pics with scale, reduce resolution and post, and maybe at least some of you good folks can tell me what the heck it is!

Edited by brucemc

After a little reading it does not seem too promising as we are in northern Colorado Springs and it would seem the area is best known for fossilized leaves and bugs, so unless it was from a really big mosquito..., but I will still take a few pics with scale, reduce resolution and post, and maybe at least some of you good folks can tell me what the heck it is!

Turtles, crocodiles, mammals...they all left coprolites; it doesn't have to be from a dino. Some of the mammal stuff is quite...realistic!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

About to attempt to post several pix over at the picture ID forum. Wish I was up to speed on doing one of those 360 degree rotating image as the shape is as important; rather, ummmm, poop-like...