Rock & Gem Magazine Covers North Sulphur River

JimB88

In the latest issue theres a report from Robert Beard on the Pete Patterson fossil park in Ladonia Texas. Its pretty informative to one whos never been there. He finds some oysters and ammonites. He mentions a plan to build a reservoir which will destroy the site. Has anyone here ever collected from there?

yes, lots of us have collected from the north sulphur. search the forum and you'll find many posts regarding it.

In the latest issue theres a report from Robert Beard on the Pete Patterson fossil park in Ladonia Texas. Its pretty informative to one whos never been there. He finds some oysters and ammonites. He mentions a plan to build a reservoir which will destroy the site. Has anyone here ever collected from there?

Yes but have only been there 3 times. Lots of bone in there. I found

mosasaur verts and a plessy vert. My favorite find was a small ammonite from

the red bed.

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I saw that during the week. It's the June issue so you might want to go and pick that up ASAP.

Over the years Rock & Gem has covered many fossil sites including one for shark teeth near Worland, Wyoming and the old "amphitheater" site in Bakersfield, CA.

I know every bridge crossing the Sulphur has to offer. Not a fun place to be in the middle of summer since the river runs east to west. Shade can be hard to come by and the water is warm in most spots. If you go in the summer you better be there when the sun comes up.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Shark teeth near Worland?! Do you know, is that in the Frontier Fm?

It's the Teapot Dome Sandstone Member of the Mesaverde Formation and the fauna is described in Case (1987) and collecting info is in Spendlove (1996). However, according to Case (1996) there was some question as to the official name of the formation (though he maintained it was the Mesaverde) and its exact position within the stratigraphic column had yet to be clarified. On a personal note, a friend in Casper collected similarly-preserved teeth in the Worland area but identified the formation as the Cody Shale. Was he collecting from another formation that yielded Late Cretaceous shark teeth or had the formation name been changed? Perhaps you know more about this or know someone local who can provide an update? I can try contacting my friend but haven't heard from him in years.

Case, G.R. 1987.

A New Selachian Fauna from the Late Campanian of Wyoming (Teapot Sandstone Member, Mesaverde Formation, Big Horn Basin). Palaeontographica Abt. A. 197 (1-3): 1-37.

Spendlove, E. 1996.

Finding Fossilized Shark Teeth. Rock & Gem. Vol 26 (3): 46-52. March 1996 issue.

Edited by siteseer

I've been there a lot. I have to slow down now because of a knee injury in Florida. :(

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight