Anyone Know How Good This System Is?

Stonebreaker

I have really been debating getting this as a media blaster...any input on it? I know it's cheap but its within my budget until I get back from my injury.The tip looks a bit suspect..maybe i can change it out? http://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-portable-soda-blaster-66742.html

Edited by Stonebreaker

I like that! I'm assuming you pressurize it with a standard air compressor first, and then you're ready to go?

Yeah and it probably would need a in-line filter system to keep moisture out...should have one anyways on the compressor to extend the life on any pnuematic tools. JP if u look down the page of the link the bicarb is there.

Edited by Stonebreaker

Stonebreaker-

It looks lke it might do. My few concerns... what sort of air compressor do you have? If it has oil in the crankcase, as opposed to an oil-less compressor, you will need a filter to keep the oil out of the air line. Oil in the air line will gum up a sand blaster. Its called a coalescing fitler. I got mine at Grainger, I think. My other concern is that the bicarb is medium grain. For a lot of stuff this will be fine, but eventually you might want to go smaller grain stuff. But hey, for a hundred bucks... give it a try. If it doesn't work you can open up a sand blasting window etching business for the young kids and their fancy cars. And report back to us.

I have a 110 gallon oil compressor with a triple filteration system (I cast iron piped my entire woodshop with air at every station as well as ceiling drops all over the place) and a small pancake oiless that I use most for trim work on site to finish out a piece. Its about a 3 or 5 gallon one. I know that I shouldnt go cheap with tools (or at least has been my experience so far) But, for the first time in a long time I'm forced to cut corners. Does anyone have a recommendation for a GOOD and somewhat inexpensive system then? I hate dumping money into things that just wind up sucking.

I wouldnt suggest that blaster as it looks like a high pressure system which would be ok for fast bulk removal but would destroy details on anything smaller. You would be better off looking for a suction type blaster as they are far more adjustable on the air pressure and abraisive flows.

Sean

Rock kickers of the world unite