Collecting from the Blue Springs, MS. Coon Creek Member, Ripley Formation

Jeffrey P

A little over a week ago I flew to Memphis and then drove down to Tupelo, Mississippi to spend two days collecting at the nearby Blue Springs fossil site, Upper Cretaceous, Ripley Formation, Coon Creek Member. It was my fourth trip there in the past two years. Weather was decent- 65 degrees the first day, 55 the second., a mix of sun and clouds both days. The site was very mucky the first day there, but it dried up for the most part by the second. The first time I visited there, the surface collecting was excellent. Not so much the last three times and this time was exceptionally poor. So, as you can see from the photo, I did a lot of digging. The softer material near the top did have fossils, but normally they crumpled as soon as they were exposed. One particular small nautiloid that was original shell material and mostly gold color was especially heart breaking. As I dug deeper,  more intact fossils appeared in the now tougher marl, mostly mollusks with at least some shell material though much of it came off when the rock split. 

IMG_9822.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Here are some bivalves I found: Here are a couple specimens of Pterotrigonia thoracia'

IMG_9832.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

And this is Cyprimeria alta. It is three and a half inches across and includes both valves:

IMG_9848.JPG

IMG_9851.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Two specimens of the Geoduck Clam- Panopea decisa

IMG_9839.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

When I was trimming the one on top, revealed its other valve:

IMG_9841.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

A partial specimen of the Venus Clam, Veniella concardi with a view of the umbo:

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9844.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Posted (edited)

A Crassatella vadosa (both valves) with most of its shell material intact:

IMG_9860.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 3

And this bad boy! A partial cockel shell, Cardium stanloni over 5 inches long. 

IMG_9829.JPG

IMG_9831.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Posted (edited)

Finally, a piece of matrix with shells:

IMG_9876.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 4

Posted (edited)

On to gastropods: My overall favorite find for the trip and a new species for my collection- Gyrodes major. it is over an inch and a half across.

IMG_9824.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 7

Another bad boy! A partial Volutamorpha valida, missing its top and bottom, still over three and a half inches long:

IMG_9835.JPG

IMG_9836.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Posted (edited)

A few Palameta cancellaria:. These are less than an inch.

IMG_9862.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 3

Posted (edited)

An Odontobasis australis (left) an inch and a quarter and an Anchura pergracilis (right), also new for my collection . 

IMG_9863.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 3

A couple gastropods I have yet to ID: 

IMG_9869.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

And finally this one, I'm thinking is Pyropsis proxima, about an inch across, another new species for the collection:

IMG_9870.JPG

IMG_9872.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Oh, before I leave mollusks, I did find this piece of an ammonite, probably a Sphenodiscus:

IMG_9846.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Posted (edited)

Now most people are attracted to the Blue Springs site for its decapods, especially the crab, Dakoticancer austalis. Didn't find a lot of those this time, but here is a claw and carapace:

IMG_9857.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 4

And there's this specimen where the claw and carapace actually attach:

IMG_9856.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Finally, this button coral, Micrabacia hilgardi, is a quarter inch across, by far my biggest specimen:

IMG_9827.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

So, that's what I found in two days of digging. Nothing especially brag worthy, but some excellent additions to my growing collection. Having collected Upper Cretaceous marine fossils from New Jersey, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Mississippi, there is now a fair amount of comparative material that I'm hoping provides a broader view of marine life during that age. Thankis for looking and hope you enjoy!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

On 3/26/2024 at 4:59 PM, Praefectus said:

Nice finds!

Thanks. Glad you appreciate them.

Lots of variety, thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing cephalopods from the Cretaceous to compare to what I see locally and on my travels.

Great report Jeff!

Wonderful finds, as well.
Glad you had a productive trip there.
Thanks for posting the report!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice!! Those Coon Creek gastropods are amazing! That's another spot I want to get to 'one of these days', which obviously might be a few years in my case. :)