Moving And Trying To Be Around Fossil Locations.

sweeneyb

I am moving to take a job and I have the option of living in three different places: Texarkana, TX, Fargo, ND, or Lincoln Nebraska. I love fossiling so much that I dont think I live somewhere that doesnt have sites. Anyone know if there are any near these cities?

Looks like if you opt Texarkana it will put you about 150 miles from the NSR fossil sites. Don't know about the other locations.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

assuming this isn't a short-term assignment, use the power of the internet and carefully research each of the three places. if possible actually visit each place. also, since the purpose of your moving is to take a job, see if you can figure out which of the three locations is more of the "place to be" with regard to the employer, so that you have the best option of both retaining the employment and moving up the ladder, if that's desired.

yes i know all that matters is fossils, but still...

Texarkana - Hot Hot summers! - Upper Paleozoic, Cretaceous and Paleocene/Eocene rocks nearby (100 mile radius)

Nebraska - Hot Humid summers, Cold winters. Permian and cretaceous rocks nearby. (100 mile radius)

Fargo - Cold Cold winters, hot summers and the risk of Steve Bushemi kidnapping your wife. Cretaceous in ND and Metamorphic rocks in Minnesota. (100 mile radius)

I'd go for Texarkana myself but Tracer is right; where is your best chance of continuing to advance within the company (or find a comparable job).

Go to this site for the Geological maps of each state (click on the state and then pick the option to open the map in your browser window.)

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Texarkana - Hot Hot summers! - Upper Paleozoic, Cretaceous and Paleocene/Eocene rocks nearby (100 mile radius)

Nebraska - Hot Humid summers, Cold winters. Permian and cretaceous rocks nearby. (100 mile radius)

Fargo - Cold Cold winters, hot summers and the risk of Steve Bushemi kidnapping your wife. Cretaceous in ND and Metamorphic rocks in Minnesota. (100 mile radius)

I'd go for Texarkana myself but Tracer is right; where is your best chance of continuing to advance within the company (or find a comparable job).

Go to this site for the Geological maps of each state (click on the state and then pick the option to open the map in your browser window.)

Thanks for the help. I will be visiting each place and will pick a place that I actually enjoy because I am required to stay in one place for three years then I can transfer or stay if I would like to.

Texarkana puts you within a reasonable drive to lots of places in Texas, close to some sites in Arkansas. If you like crystals, the there are the quartz mines near Mt. Ida and Hot Springs. Then there is Crater of Diamonds. Can't speak to the other places. Good luck.

Personally I would pick Lincoln, NB. First is a very nice place to live. Being a college town it has a lot to offer without it being a really big city. Second, it is centrally located and if you don't mind driving a bit there are many fossil sites. Shamalama mention the stuff nearby but western Missouri is very good for fossils. I have never collected the Kansas City area but I hear there is stuff there. I have seem some great crinoids from that area. Further south the entire Springfield, MO area is all fossils. I understand the Kansas is loaded with fossils and that is very close to Lincoln. You can go further west in Nebraska and find lots of vertebrate material. Iowa is not too far and it is rich in fossils.

That my two cents.

crinus