Is it a truly natural megladon tooth?

• New Members

I recently bought this tooth from an online auction site. It is listed as being 100% natural. I am a beginner to collection fossils, but especially the back looks a bit patched up. Hope some of you more knowledgable collectors can help me on this. This last picture I was sent by the seller, when it was still in it's matrix. 

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-31 om 12.09.44.png

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-31 om 12.09.30.png

Screenshot_20240331_124141_Messenger.jpg

It looks like an Indonesian Meg tooth. Correct ? 
they are pretty common in this size. The blade is real and in good shape, the root is partly real and has got some resto done do it I would say from these photos the root is about 30% original . They do this allot , its more rare to find a decent size one with a real root

• Thank You 1

• New Members

You are indeed correct, it is from Indonesia.

Bummed to read that my suspicions were correct. It's unfortunate that an auction website would advertise it as authentic. 

Many thanks for your opinion.

Don't be bummed, it's a great looking and authentic Meg tooth. Actually, the root is well preserved for an Indonesian Meg tooth, they are usually way more badly preserved than this one. Usually the roots don't preserve very well in the matrix they're found in and have to be prepped from it.

Good thing is that the Indonesian Megs usually have well preserved blades and serrations like this one. American Megs for instance normally have better preserved roots but often the blades, bourlettes and serrations aren't well preserved as the water they're found in wears it away. 

I think it's a great looking tooth and nothing to be bummed about, I like it! 

Edited by Daze

• New Members
39 minutes ago, Daze said:

Don't be bummed, it's a great looking and authentic Meg tooth. Actually, the root is well preserved for an Indonesian Meg tooth, they are usually way more badly preserved than this one. Usually the roots don't preserve very well in the matrix they're found in and have to be prepped from it.

Good thing is that the Indonesian Megs usually have well preserved blades and serrations like this one. American Megs for instance normally have better preserved roots but often the blades, bourlettes and serrations aren't well preserved as the water they're found in wears it away. 

I think it's a great looking tooth and nothing to be bummed about, I like it! 

I am very happy to hear your thoughts. Thanks a lot :)