Any advice to extract a fossilized vertebra that is under 6mm?

The_Wanderer

• New Members

Do y’all have any advice y’all could give me to extract a fossilized vertebrae bone that is under 6mm without damaging?

like tools, extraction techniques, preservation of it, and identification of it.

context:

So, I am new at this and I don’t really know what to get or do to extract it.

The fossil is small like very small around as small as fire ants,  like maybe on the bigger side of fire ants.

I don’t have any close up and clear photos of it right now, but the measurements is accurate, and I will add a quick sketch of what it roughly looks like.

IMG_0217.jpeg

What are you extracting it from?  Rock, dirt, clay?

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

Oops I forgot about that it is a really tough sedimentary rock

You probably dont have the proper tools, so advice is difficult.  The proper tools would also likely cost you $1500 or more.  

But my advice, is to not try to completely remove it from the rock.  You just want to expose a front or back side of it so that you can clearly see what it is.  Leave the remaining rock around it for strength and easy of handling.

If its really important, you might look for a commercial prepper to do the work for you.

• I Agree 2

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

• New Members

A good chunk of it is was naturally outside of the rock, and it is at a angle of somewhere around 45-70 degrees.

The rock that it is on has from 1 to 3 dozen other fossils,  but a majority of them are, from what I can tell, more common ones.

The most notable ones is this one, and  one other one,  and the rock which I picked up and kept looks like a part of a tusk or bone, which it is not.

It looks more convincing in person then via a photo and all the other rocks around it looked nothing like this rock.

It was in a desert- ish area -  there were a lot of short trees and plants, but the ground was mostly sand, and the rocks around it were not smooth:

this one was.

One looks to be 1 of two things,  1- a geode that was broken in half at one point a long time ago and filled with rock, or 2. - an egg that is missing the bones inside, because it may have been a hatched egg, which is around 2-2.5cm circle like shape. Also the outside and inside rock looks to be the same.

I am going to add one of the photos I have of the rock.

It is a photo before I cleaned it, but the blue area is where the egg/geode one is.

The yellow area is the one with the vertebra and the wihite is one that I am pretty sure it is a carbon bleach of a lizard, but it looks very weird and there are multiple ones of it of its tail and only the tail 3 in total .

IMG_0220.jpeg

Much better pictures will be needed if we are to speak about this item intelligently.  :unsure:

Personally, I'm not seeing anything truly fossil related in the blurry picture provided.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Any advice to extract a fossilized vertebra that is under 6mm?

I'm going to take a stab at a guess and say that it's likely a fish vert from the drawing and blurry photo. I would not try to remove it. That's just about guaranteed to destroy it. If you don't want it in the large rock, cut the block down with a rock saw, or an angle grinder with a masonry wheel (wear appropriate PPE).