Can't for the life fig this out

Whatnots

Can't for the life of me figure this out I found it while gardening in in VA nowhere near a beach. Thanks for any insight ! I've googled everything from cow to horse to ox NADA! 

IMG_20240407_120210_307.jpg

Maybe just a suggestively shaped stone; could possibly be bone, but you'll need to photograph from multiple sides & top/bottom ends to see if there is any texture or bone structure; also need some sort of scale  & general locale .  Hopefully, someone else may chime in.

• I Agree 2

Or possibly an infilled burrow?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Virginia has everything from Cambrian to Pleistocene, so better location data, such as county, would be a big help. Also need to see pictures of the ends.

Thanks for the replies can't find my measuring tape but a box cutter is well known.  Ends look broken or worked and probably bone but no clue from WHAT.  

That location pretty much rules out fossil bone. It could be a recent butchered bone. It's hard to tell if that is bone marrow in the center. The ends do look cut. The state museum happens to be in Martinsville, so you could always show it to someone there.

• I Agree 1

I know it's a bone of some sort- of what I am unable to ID because of that flare out on the side it's too thick to be a scapula and I've googled just about all animals I can think of - so irritating.  The museum only sees by appt so after learning that I didn't bother with a lot of the finds that I cannot id. 

Pretty sure this a portion of a rib bone and the ends definitely look sawn.  Probably from the portion of the rib closer to the spine where ribs often twist and flare before they flatten and thin.  So focus on the animals that we like to eat ribs from.  Pig?

• I Agree 1

You can see the reciprocal pattern to the cuts. This means it was done on a mechanical saw, not a hand saw. That overlap is the slight differences between the two welded sides of the blade. 

Kinda looks like the “butcher bones” I buy the dogs that are covered in smoked grisel. So cow town!

2352A13D-A28D-47D1-8585-08B5CEFB4A34.thumb.png.d2408d0944f3fa430b436316f08343ea.png

I know it's a bone of some sort- of what I am unable to ID because of that flare out on the side it's too thick to be a scapula and I've googled just about all animals I can think of - so irritating.  The museum only sees by appt so after learning that I didn't bother with a lot of the finds that I cannot id. 

Ahh thanks !!!  I had googled so many animal skeletons from wild to farm and couldn't find it !!!  I hate when I can't even sort that out.  Once I couldn't find it still the curiosity was killing me 😂. That flare out on the bone that's been worn has driven me crazy -  the soil here sucks so bad that I wouldn't expect anything over 200yrs to last tbh- but if it was a bear I'd of hunted for the rest hahaha thanks again !