Green River Fish Prep

Pagurus

For the past month or so I've been working on an exciting (for me) multiplate of Green River fish. I've enjoyed working on it a little at a time in the quiet of my kitchen with just some x-acto knives and an occasional needle. I have magnification and illumination but just whatever I could find at a local craft store. It works for me but I do crave an air abrasion set-up now and then. If I ever finish this multiplate I have a few other fish to play with too, and I'll probably post them here eventually.

For the most part this plate is a pleasure to work on, not too hard or soft and the layers peeling off reasonably cleanly without being too sticky. The fish is somewhat fragile though, and extremely thin in places, especially the tails, at least so far. It bothers me when I lose bits of the tail, or they just aren't there, but I'm still happy with the progress so far and it's almost a good substitute for getting out in the field again. Almost.

I  enjoy seeing my own progress, slow as it is, and I've shown it to local friends and family who nod their heads and humor me, but here on the forum I'm pleased to share it with some people who appreciate the good old days fifty million years ago.

Grfmultiplate1a.thumb.jpg.f606afd65c678fe59bb7c8dc92b1b53e.jpg

Grfmultiplate413.thumb.jpg.dade32ae93cdacdb2e776ecee8b2309f.jpg

Grfmultiplate413pair.thumb.jpg.76338a7ce99d8d33b2458f7f91a350cc.jpg

Of course I still have a bit of prep to do on this pair of Knightia, and I think there's more tail to uncover despite the missing pieces, but this is where I'm at for now. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Pagurus
  • Enjoyed 8

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

You’re doing great so far! I can’t wait to see the whole piece done. I think I’m seeing a total of i think six? On there. I’m jealous, my highest count multi piece is only 3!

• Thank You 1

Looking good, Mike!
:)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Mike, you are doing a great job and I look forward to see this completed. Keep up the good work. Remember slow and steady! (Something I need to remind myself).:unsure:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great work, Mike! Keep at it. You are coming along just fine! 

Do you have any Paraloid? I know a thin coating goes a long way with these fragile fish.

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

know a thin coating goes a long way with these fragile fish.

+1! I paraloid all my grf fish… often while still prepping it to keep from losing pieces on parts I’ve already cleaned. Clean, paraloid, clean,repeat…

Edited by Randyw
  • I found this Informative 2

Just playin with an old rock.  How nice is that.

RB

• Enjoyed 1

21 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Great work, Mike! Keep at it. You are coming along just fine! 

Do you have any Paraloid? I know a thin coating goes a long way with these fragile fish.

My bag of Paraloid swam away since I last used it.  I ordered more today. Thanks for reminding me.

10 hours ago, RJB said:

Just playin with an old rock.  How nice is that.

I'm so fortunate, and grateful, to have this old rock to play with. Thank you Ron!

Looking good @Pagurus I have to echo the Paraloid comments. It will do a lot to stabilize the flaky little buggers. a 2% solution will lock the fish down without getting too thick on the specimen with additional applications if needed.

I also get upset when bits come off. I've had some look great and then disintegrate before my eyes. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I've had some look great and then disintegrate before my eyes. 

You post so many great pictures I’ve always wondered if you end up with a few duds… that makes me feel better about my prepping attempts!

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

You post so many great pictures I’ve always wondered if you end up with a few duds… that makes me feel better about my prepping attempts!

I run into a few that aren’t worth the effort.

This Cockerelites was abandoned after an hour of work due to the flaky nature of the scales and the incompleteness of the caudal fin.

IMG_1387.thumb.jpeg.22dc388903e3902a32acb0a731e1e988.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1