Starfish is it real?

• New Members

Hello. I'm right now in Morocco, leaving tomorrow from Marrakech. I have a chance to buy this one... is it a real starfish?

I bet 85% it is a real s**t but I'm sort of new member of fossil collector. Please tell me if early morning time, before I leave 'Kesh should I buy this thing?

20240418_165259.jpg

20240418_165256.jpg

really not easy to decide. The hugher ones does not look bad, but there are several starfishes on the market that had been carved

I would assume it is original because of the position of one arm, overlaying the starfish. The "selfcreated ones" normally look too perfect to be real. But, some are real, too...

Hi,

This wants to represent brittle stars and not starfish (but same family).

For me, I doubt that it is real, even with the arm over the others, because they are constantly improving to make them look more like real fossils.

I think that when they run aground and die, they often have their arms in the same direction, because of the movement of the water, but I can be wrong.

That said, the photos are not good enough to be able to say more for me.

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • I Agree 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

For me, I doubt that it is real, even with the arm over the others, because they are constantly improving to make them look more like real fossils.

I think that when they run aground and die, they often have their arms in the same direction, because of the movement of the water, but I can be wrong.

That said, the photos are not good enough to be able to say more for me.

I am not an expert.

But I agree. Something looks off with the arms. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector