Canyon Diablo meteorite ?

JD1969

This certainly has the same look as those meteorites. Any thoughts?

IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

Edited by JD1969
Misspelling

Is this something you own, or are considering buying? Could be, but the pictures are not very good.

2 hours ago, connorp said:

Is this something you own, or are considering buying? Could be, but the pictures are not very good.

I have this one.

Just now, JD1969 said:

I have this one. Actually 3 or 4 pieces. I can try and post some better pics.

The first 3 are of the original post pic. The last 3 are of other pieces I found like it in close proximity in northern Arizona.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some of those could be ventifacts with desert varnish?

Unable to judge on the "base rock".

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

Posted (edited)

Really hard to get a good pic with that reflective surface. The first one I polished one side and it came out like a mirror almost. The others went through the tumbler. Definitely not desert varnish!

Edited by JD1969
  • I found this Informative 1

IMO it looks to be unlikely that these are meteorites, but here are a couple of at-home tests that might tell us something:

1. Do these stick very strongly to a magnet? 

2. Scrape the rocks on unglazed ceramic, as on the underside of a plate or coffee mug. What is the color left behind?

Forever a student of Nature

image.png.b91ce67f2541747809ca9464ef3e0fa6.png image.png.91f16f76669e71e2b39cff25bd672bde.png image.png.d9d37e4f54d24fd75a9c495d6f024bb8.png

6 hours ago, JD1969 said:

This certainly has the same look as those meteorites. Any thoughts?

IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

Please correct the spelling of meteorite in the title and tags. Otherwise, searching for meteorite is much less likely to bring up your post.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

11 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

IMO it looks to be unlikely that these are meteorites, but here are a couple of at-home tests that might tell us something:

2. Scrape the rocks on unglazed ceramic, as on the underside of a plate or coffee mug. What is the color left behind?

I have done both of them and weak attraction and no mark on scratch test.

12 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

So I cut open one of the other ones and it gave off a rusty color of dust. I then wet sanded with 1500 and I’ll post a pic of sanded material and polished end of stone. Came out almost mirror like. Maybe all IMG_1926.thumb.jpeg.354f6a8714c26d9f4ac82a20965536d8.jpegthis will help?

IMG_1924.jpeg

9 hours ago, JD1969 said:

I have done both of them and weak attraction and no mark on scratch test.

My vote: not a meteorite. Iron meteorites as their name suggests are >90% iron, are extremely dense and will absolutely stick to a magnet. 

Forever a student of Nature

image.png.b91ce67f2541747809ca9464ef3e0fa6.png image.png.91f16f76669e71e2b39cff25bd672bde.png image.png.d9d37e4f54d24fd75a9c495d6f024bb8.png

@JD1969

Please correct the spelling of meteorite in the title and tags otherwise few will be able to search for your post in the future unless they also misspell meteorite. You have two days from the post creation to edit.

You can bring your rocks to the Mineralogical Society of Arizona meeting in Paradise Valley to get mineral experts to look at it.

https://www.msaaz.org

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• JD1969 changed the title to Canyon Diablo meteorite ?