Fossils in FL panhandle(?)

OverCaffeinated

• New Members

Hello,

I hope this is the appropriate location to post this question, my apologies if it isn't.

Does anyone have advice or location suggestions for fossil hunting in the Florida panhandle region? The few locations that have been suggested to me *appear* to not legally allow collecting. I am alright with just observing, but my preference is to have the option to collect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First of all, I really like your username (I can relate)

For the most part,  spots that are very popular- and thus well searched, don't have the best stuff at least in my experience. 

What we did, and what I'd personally recommend, is for you to learn about the local layers in your area.  Read a bit on local shale/limestone/sandstone layers, and if there is fossils reported in those layers, try to find an exposure.  Not sure what kind of fossil hunting your after, but we checked out a bunch of roadcuts- we've found decent stuff by stumbling on some good layers.  Of course, check local laws and ordinances.   It took us a lot of prospecting before we started finding better fossils.

So I guess I'd recommend to do a good amount of research.  It's pretty fun to find fossils at a spot that you spent the time to discover :)

Sorry that I can't really help you any further than that.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

2 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

Hello,

I hope this is the appropriate location to post this question, my apologies if it isn't.

Does anyone have advice or location suggestions for fossil hunting in the Florida panhandle region? The few locations that have been suggested to me *appear* to not legally allow collecting. I am alright with just observing, but my preference is to have the option to collect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have lived in Florida for 30 years and hunted extensively for the last 30 years.. in Southwest Florida.  Fossil hunting is not as easy in the Panhandle. That seems to always be true.  Someone asking for help and getting no answers. So this is going to be hard... Nothing easy like just asking. Depends on whether you can do hard things over time. Do you live in the panhandle ? That is a good start... Florida is full of fossils and has tons of rivers and creeks.  On your weekends or free time, start investigate those rivers and creeks. The state of Florida owns 95% of all creek or river bottoms and grants you the right to walk on those creek/river bottoms. 

Here is an OLD , OLD OLD map that was prepared by the University of Florida to tell people where they believed there were fossil locations in the State.  Who knows.. there might be a fossil or 2 left at those old sites... on the map in the panhandle. 

https://original-ufdc.uflib.ufl.edu/UF90000378/00001/1x

If you want to find fossils in the Peace River,  it is pretty easy..  but in the panhandle,  it is not.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Don't know where you'll be in the panhandle but if you have the ability to head north into southern Alabama, you may wish to check out the "Point A Dam" in Andalusia, Alabama. A search of this forum (and the wider internet) should turn up some information on that locality. I've never been but I do know fossil clubs have gone there in the past.

If you'll be near the Pensacola area I can recommend an interesting stop if you like unusual plants. My wife and I went to the Yellow River Marsh Preserve State Park in Milton, FL (just east of Pensacola) to see the White-topped Pitcher plants in bloom. The park itself was overgrown (and in need of a prescribed burn) but the road to the park (Dickerson City Rd) was lined with blooming pitchers all along the swales on either side. Quite a site to see! ;)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qoLziMCoGPNq3diX8

Cheers.

-Ken

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

• Enjoyed 5