Return of the dyrosaurid tooth

Othniel C. Marsh

Below is the tooth of a dyrosaurid, some of which you may recognise from this thread here. I was originally under the impression that dyrosaurid teeth, like many crocodile teeth, were (unfortunately) non-diagnostic, but it appears that @Anomotodon was able to compile a list of dyrosaurid crocodiles known from the phosphates of the Ouled Abdoun Basin, and the morphology of their teeth, so I wondered if it might be possible to identify mine. Given the fact that my tooth has two carinae, and "medial/lingual curvature with a convex labial" (@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon's word, not mine) and no striations, I personally believe this tooth to be that of a Chenanisuchus, but I'm no expert on the matter.

20240426_162054.thumb.jpg.a6bbd31ffcf001c2aa3bf8ae48aaea9b.jpg

20240426_161913.thumb.jpg.1322d3650701c5b67d6df93d64d5291a.jpg

20240426_161841.thumb.jpg.366bedae9f4d1142a4b8ec2c0691941c.jpg

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Othniel

Is that list visible in this forum?

I have seen two kind of dyrosaurid teeth around and would be curious to know more accurate id.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:37 PM, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Given the fact that my tooth has two carinae, and "medial/lingual curvature with a convex labial" (@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon's word, not mine) and no striations, I personally believe this tooth to be that of a Chenanisuchus, but I'm no expert on the matter.

Sounds about right... 🙃

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett