Compsongnathid claw real ?

Hello, I saw this Compsongnathid claw for sale today and wondered If its real or fake or real but modern. No formation was named, but it has its origin in northeastern China and is about 145 million years old. Does somebody know a Formation which matches the location and age, if yes, which species have been fiund there ?

Thanks for any help !

Its one centimeter in lenght 

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-27-39-814_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-27-20-717_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-27-32-214_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-28-15-458_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-27-58-614_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-28-07-617_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-27-48-554_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-03-07-28-24-010_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

8 hours ago, Brevicollis said:

No formation was named, but it has its origin in northeastern China

This is the most important part. How can it be claimed to be from China (illegal to export) yet not have a formation or locality?  

*Frank*

Posted (edited)

Sorry. I have no experience what comes to the claws.

But I would be very carefull with fossils coming from China. As FB003 hinted, most vertebrate fossils are illegal to export without super strict permissions.

Edited by North

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

This formation is not my expertise, the claw however looks good and real. Would not be to worried about it being from Asia, as long as its already outside of Asia when your buying. 

Try to get more provenance would be my advice

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 6:35 PM, Phos_01 said:

Would not be to worried about it being from Asia, as long as its already outside of Asia when your buying.

I'm not a lawyer, but i would not bet on that...

In my opinion, bringing fossils illegally outside of China does not makes it automatically legal to buy them somewhere else.

Therefore i keep my fingers off such things..:warning:

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

No. Avoid it

I recognise it. Don't buy it. 

On 5/12/2024 at 11:35 AM, Phos_01 said:

Would not be to worried about it being from Asia, as long as its already outside of Asia when your buying. 

Don't know how it is in Europe, but US law enforcement does attempt to locate and return smuggled fossils.

Let's keep any characterizations of trustworthiness of entire cultures off of the Forum.

Infer what you will about locations, without voicing it here.  :unsure:

Thank you.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20 hours ago, JBkansas said:

Don't know how it is in Europe, but US law enforcement does attempt to locate and return smuggled fossils.

Ah, now I understand. 

19 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Let's keep any characterizations of trustworthiness of entire cultures off of the Forum.

Infer what you will about locations, without voicing it here.  :unsure:

Thank you.

Sorry Tim, it wasnt meant bad against Malaysia, what I tried to say without using the word "seller", as we dont talk about them here on the open boards, better can be explained with the sister articles of this claw that are also located there. Pterodactyls, turtles, small dinosaurs, keichousaurs, and hundreds of these museum quality dinosaur eggs that are nearly all 100% fake, dont seem very trustworthy to me. I have nothing against Malaysia, maybe I should try to express something like that differently, and explain so neutral as possible.

• I Agree 1

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

22 hours ago, JBkansas said:

they have to be an expert to see the fossil and know thats its from Asia. And for that reason I cannot see any trouble here. 

For example lets say I own a Tarbosaurus tooth from Mongolia (its illegal to export nowadays sadly) but lets say I ship the tooth to the states or whatever, how can they determine at customs that its from Asia (originally)  ? 

I only see a problem if you are buying directly from Asia, and its being exported to were you live, then there is a chance customs will see and open , and ask questions. 

26 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

I only see a problem if you are buying directly from Asia, and its being exported to were you live, then there is a chance customs will see and open , and ask questions. 

In my case, they tracked the smuggled items from the smuggler to the reseller and then send local officers to each customer. It was all for a scientifically insignificant insect fossil similar to ones still found on auction sites and was purchased nearly a year prior.

For your tarbosaurus example, if the person who sold you the tooth is identified (likely due to continued sales), they could easily give up your information (and all of their other buyers).

Edited by JBkansas
  • I found this Informative 2

back to the claw, I would say it is not possible to determine it without clear provenience. Many claws "looks the same", could be a long list of candidates.

About the chinese fossils, yes, it is always good to be careful buying fossils directly in China. The sellers are reliable persons and good collectors, but, as it is forbidden to export many type of fossils directly from China better to avoid it. Buying from countries out of China (there are lot of dealers in the neighbourcountries) it normally does not cause problems.