Shellseeker

Stayed home today.  Had a bunch of chores.  One chore is to significantly reduce the bags of fossils in my home. Company is coming. My habit over the past 14 years is to return from hunting, grab the top 10 or so finds and dump the rest into a ziploc bag sometimes labeled with date and location.  There is some (not much) good stuff in those bags. In 2012 , I was keeping anything not easily identifiable as a rock.

2012Dec21st_Earbone.thumb.jpg.dff0ebcba5b8882efac4ecf128ff60dc.jpgIMG_7036ce.thumb.jpg.87e2dbc9106bfa79293fdcac39023d7d.jpgIMG_7039ce.thumb.jpg.ec7be21cc84901a43cacd203fe1e237f.jpgIMG_7040ce.thumb.jpg.8666b247f66be53cc4152e0872a3760a.jpg

It definitely LOOKED like a rock to me in 2012, but the texture seemed strange so I kept it and dropped it into a ziploc for 12 years. 

Having been on TFF for 13 years,  I now think it is possibly a small dugongid earbone and hope that my friend @Plantguy has an opinion since he has experience with this type of fossil.. 

But, do not leave it just to Chris... If you believe that it is just another rock... say so  !!!   Thanks for all views.  Jack

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Don't know about your find, Jack, but don't think it is dugongid. 

For comparison:

dugongidpetrosalsA-Copy.JPG.165c4b020433ae2de04d915df4f3ed58.JPGdugongidperiotics-Copy.jpg.d23eb01816f52ffdd8293c84de1af5ab.jpg dugongid_periotics_A.JPG.4464875d0e3da5938b76d826c8d584cd.JPG 

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

22 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Don't know about your find, Jack, but don't think it is dugongid. 

For comparison:

Thanks for the response,  Harry. I tend to agree.  

It seems like a bone. and the closest type of bone seems to me to be a periotic. Once again closest approximation to Dugong, but the size is wrong and there are a number of obvious differences. 

Just trying to buy a lottery ticket and trigger anything from TFF members. It occasionally is successful.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, I think its an ear  bone but to what I dont know. I just dont have enough skill at this point to say one way or the other--still light years of education needed.

Curiously I did run across a till bone recently that dumbfounded me and only added to my curiousity about weird bones..I could easily say at first glance if you miss the symmetry it looks like a crazy ear bone of some kind...hoping for some pics soon. Really Need to be able to pic out the distinguishing features/characters orlack there of  but Im just not there...

Another cool find!

Regards, Chris 

• Thank You 1