How much of this Spinosaurus aegyptiacus tooth has been restored?

pkedinofossils

im guessing the tip isn’t from the same tooth but what about the root? it’s a very nice looking tooth though. thanks in advance 

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3468.png

IMG_3470.png

IMG_3469.png

IMG_3467.png

IMG_3471.png

Posted (edited)

The unnatural shape of the crown and the tiny bubbles in the enamel are throwing me off, so the crown might be completly fake or heavily restored. Im not sure about the root, but the crown appears to be mostly a cast or heavily restored. But lets hear what other members here will say, if im just seeing things.

@North, @FB003, and @Phos_01

Screenshot_2024-05-12-18-52-12-514_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Edited by Brevicollis
  • Thank You 1

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

That is a weird looking tooth. The enamel structure is too smooth, the striations seem handmade and I have never seen those bubbles on a Spino tooth, which indeed might mean it is a cast. But if you make a cast, why of such a terrible specimen? The root might be real, I am not sure, but like @Brevicollis I think they stuck a heavily restored/fabricated crown on top of it.

• I Agree 2

I agree with what @BirdsAreDinosaursstated. Root looks legitimate to me. Really need more pictures of the other side of the tooth and less shadows to be completely accurate but tip also looks added. I can't say I've ever seen a brushing technique used on these but that was my first thought as well as someone who has made more than one mistake before with polyurethane on stained wood.

• I found this Informative 1

*Frank*

Hard to say exactly what have done to this one. But atleast its broken, filled and tip is added. 

My guess would be that there is restoration done and bubbling is caused when solvent is used as attempt to blend the paint/filler.

As birdsaredinosaurs stated. It makes no sense to make an cast from so broken up specimen.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

The tip is composited as well. Looks like its even a different kind of Spinosauridae.

On 5/12/2024 at 5:54 PM, Brevicollis said:

The unnatural shape of the crown and the tiny bubbles in the enamel are throwing me off, so the crown might be completly fake or heavily restored. Im not sure about the root, but the crown appears to be mostly a cast or heavily restored. But lets hear what other members here will say, if im just seeing things.

@North, @FB003, and @Phos_01

Screenshot_2024-05-12-18-52-12-514_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

that what i was thinking.. it’s a shame as they where listing it as completely legit 

Happens alot with anything from that locality.

*Frank*

• Fossildude19 changed the title to How much of this Spinosaurus aegyptiacus tooth has been restored?

This is a partly real tooth that has many work done to it, it was broken at several spots, filler, and some is composed as you can see with tiny bubble holes from pouring materials, then its probably colored  .  Somewhat strange since the value of this tooth is so low as it is already, why go trough all the trouble. But from what I hear they have big 'atelier's to call it in Morocco , were they enhance on mass scale all these found fossils.

There are lots of Spinosaurus teeth out there. Definitely avoid this one.