North American Paleontological Convention (NAPC) 2024

bockryan

Anyone else from the forum planning to attend in Ann Arbor this year? I am from the area and this will be my first time going, I'm attending both field trips and then will be in Chicago for the concluding field trip. If anyone wants some restaurant recommendations or things to do, let me know! Unfortunately not a lot of good collecting outside of the field trips, Michigan has a ton of fossils but they're largely restricted to pretty remote areas or the lakes.  

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/napc2024/daily-schedule/

Ryan

I am presenting a poster Tuesday and a workshop on Wednesday. I may be exploring Ann Arbor and the surrounding area including as far away as three or more hours at other times.

I live in the area.  I am co-author on two posters on Tuesday and also doing a presentation on Friday.  My presentation on Friday will be during the amateurs' part of the conference.  

Joe

• Enjoyed 1

@NickG and @crinus, congratulations on presenting!

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

54 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

@NickG and @crinus, congratulations on presenting!

Thanks. I strongly encourage anyone who wants to learn more about organizing/using reference managers to make research MUCH MUCH easier to come to this and/or if there is more interest than seats, I'd be happy to do a webinar for the forum.

I am curious as to what you folks are presenting about at NAPC.  I had a good time when I went in Gainesville many years ago.  

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I am curious as to what you folks are presenting about at NAPC.  I had a good time when I went in Gainesville many years ago.  

Sure, why not. The cats is out of the bag since all titles and authors has now been released.

The first and most important is a project that we (Kolata, Mooi, Guensburg and Koniecki) have been working on for about 1.5 years.  This will be a poster session on Tuesday of the conference. It is titled:

KOLATA: CYCLOCYSTOIDS (ECHINODERMATA) FROM THE UPPER ORDOVICIAN (EARLY KATIAN) BRECHIN LAGERSTÄTTE OF ONTARIO, CANADA: IMPLICATIONS FOR CYCLOCYSTOID SYSTEMATICS, ANATOMY, FUNCTIONAL MORPHOLOGY, AND LIFE MODE.

I was gong to post something about this later this month as I was waiting for everything to get release.  I guess I can work on it now.  It is a long story and best for a separate topic.

Poster #2 for which I am getting credit is titled:

REGISTER: EXPLORING THE MORPHOMETRIC IMPLICATIONS OF THE LOSS OF RESPIRATORY STRUCTURES IN PLEUROCYSTITID ECHINODERMS

I can't say anything about his presentation because I haven't a clue what they did.  Dr. Deline was here and took a LOT (probably in the area of 100 specimens) of my Pleurocystites and Amecystis for a project for his students.  I was told they were giving me credit on the poster but that is all I know.

The third is a presentation at the AVOCATIONAL CLUBS AS PALEONTOLOGICAL RESOURCES  part of the conference.  I haven't written the presentation as of yet.  I have only submitted an abstract.   It was titled: KONIECKI: AN AMATEUR’S CONTRIBUTIONS TO PALEONTOLOGY.  You get 15 minutes for your presentation and questions so I will have to talk fast.  In the first part I was going to state all the research that has been done using my collection.  The second part was going to talk about the potential for another person like myself to come along.  As I stated in my abstract "It looks very bleak".  Opportunities to collect, like I had are all gone. 

• I found this Informative 2

I'm presenting a poster on Tuesday on rare Silurian trilobites ranging through an undocumented transitional zone.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1