Fossils: Good Value Or Bad Investment?

Vankor

A huge trend in celebrities is fossil collecting,probably not hunting.lol

I've got a Bone Valley Megalodon for Bill Gates if you see him. Nicholas Cage as well. I hear they actually do collect. Prime example of selling the best for asking price.

LOL, seems even true:

http://www.celebitchy.com/4944/leonardo_dicaprio_vs_nicolas_cage_in_fight_over_dino_skull/

anyway, this happened 2007 and it doesn't seem that this brought attention of these fantastic manifestations of natural history towards a broad public perception.

BTW, I think Nicolas Cage is not the right person to try to learn something about investment from as well :sword:

• 2 years later...

To my mind, you buy fossils as an investment only if you are investing in your own enjoyment. They are not good long term investments. The people who make money on fossils are the dealers who buy cheap and sell dear, and sell quickly.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I 'invest' in fossils for basically the same reason I 'invest' in good books and good music; they keep my think-bone from getting constipated. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't buy or sell fossils.. Went on EBay and yikes...85% of Dino fossils were 'not' or mislabeled. I cringe when I see folks bidding on these. Dino selling sites on the Internet are unethical as they should know better but prefer not to ask the right questions from their sources. PT Barnum today would be selling a lot of claws, eggs and rare teeth.

Anyways, some fossils may be an OK investment if you know your stuff. Really know your stuff. Really, really, really know your stuff.

I buy and sell used electric guitars. But it's a hobby. Have about 40 at any time. Enjoy their aesthetics, play them, then often resell them at some future date for about the same. That's how fossils should be approached. Buy a specimen if it brings personal satisfaction.

Perhaps one way to increase value is to build a specific collection. Like stamps, coins, etc. the sum can be worth more than the individual parts.

Edited by Ridgehiker

Im constantly asked buy family and friends "what are you going to do with all these fossils , will you sell them i mean after all they cost you nothing" ive given up explaining, they understand the time and effort put in to finding them . But cant grasp the how they came to be which seems to be not open to discussion.

The answer is they are not for sale but are placed in my will Brick Yards will soon be a thing of the past so im guessing Oxford Clay finds such as mine will be priceless one day in the future.

When i say priceless i mean not in money terms but to never be dug up again is an incentive to keep them in the family and to keep showing them to as many people as possible.

Regards,

Darren.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers