Illu

• New Members

Have a trip coming up in two weeks to calvert cliffs. First time going was wondering if I would be ok going even when the tide is high since high tide is around 10am. Also any tips would be appreciated.

High tide is when the beach access is most limited. In some cases there may be no beach at all. As the tide goes down, more access will open up. Either way, good luck. 

• I Agree 2

• New Members
40 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

High tide is when the beach access is most limited. In some cases there may be no beach at all. As the tide goes down, more access will open up. Either way, good luck. 

Just curious what circumstances would cause no beach at all

20 minutes ago, Illu said:

Just curious what circumstances would cause no beach at all

High tide - at Calvert there will always be a beach but the majority of the fossils will be covered with water/sand. At other nearly locations like Purse the beach is narrow enough that high tide simply covers everything and makes the site pretty much inaccessible. A couple hours before or after low-tide is usually best for beach collecting, in my experience. I would advise checking out Purse, Matoaka, and Flag Ponds for the best chance of finding things. Matoaka and Flag Ponds charge a small fee, while Purse is a bit further down and preserves older fossils.

• New Members
1 minute ago, bockryan said:

High tide - at Calvert there will always be a beach but the majority of the fossils will be covered with water/sand. At other nearly locations like Purse the beach is narrow enough that high tide simply covers everything and makes the site pretty much inaccessible. A couple hours before or after low-tide is usually best for beach collecting, in my experience. I would advise checking out Purse, Matoaka, and Flag Ponds for the best chance of finding things. Matoaka and Flag Ponds charge a small fee, while Purse is a bit further down and preserves older fossils.

Thank you much appreciated. It seems the 3 days I'm there high tide will be around 10 am and 11am with the first low tide at 6am so any advice on which beaches would suit those time frames. 

I would advise not going to Purse on the weekend. Unless, you get there at the crack of dawn. It has a small parking lot and, gets terribly crowded. 

• New Members
5 minutes ago, automech said:

I would advise not going to Purse on the weekend. Unless, you get there at the crack of dawn. It has a small parking lot and, gets terribly crowded. 

Does the same go for flag pond and matoaka?

No. There's a lot more space to park and roam around at those locations. But, early bird gets the worm :thumbsu: 

Purse does offer a greater chance for an abundance of shark teeth.