Shark Tooth Reference Books

Varkdriver

I'm looking for a reference book for identifying fossilized shark teeth and eocene fossils. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are a few publications that focus on Eocene fossils from certain regions and a few that deal with Eocene fossils within their coverage of Cenozoic fossils from certain regions:

Brown, R.C. 1988.

Florida's Fossils: Guide to Location, Identification and Enjoyment. Pineapple Press. There is a revised edition of this book out now. It shows a variety of fossils from the Eocene-Pleistocene of Florida.

Kemp, D., L. Kemp, and D. Ward. 1990.

An Illustrated Guide to the British Middle Eocene Vertebrates. David Ward (Publisher).

Rayner, D., T. Mitchell, M. Rayner, and F. Clouter. 2009.

London Clay Fossils of Kent and Essex. Medway Fossil and Mineral Society.

Weems, R.E. and G.J. Grimsley (eds.). 1999.

Early Eocene Vertebrates and Plants from the Fisher-Sullivan Site (Nanjemoy Formation) Stafford County, Virginia. Virginia Division of Mineral Resources Publication 152. Commonwealth of Virginia. Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy. Division of Mineral Resources.

I'm looking for a reference book for identifying fossilized shark teeth and eocene fossils. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Another:

London Clay Fossils of the Isle of Sheppey by Clouter, Mitchell, et al. The book was published by the Medway Lapidary and Mineral Society in 2000. The book (soft cover) presents nice photos of many fossil types.

• I found this Informative 1

Another:

London Clay Fossils of the Isle of Sheppey by Clouter, Mitchell, et al. The book was published by the Medway Lapidary and Mineral Society in 2000. The book (soft cover) presents nice photos of many fossil types.

Thanks for the info. You have been very helpful.

Take a look at www.texassharks.org . You mentioned Eocene, the book on this site centers around sharks and rays of the Cretaceous.

- ROD

An eocene library without this one... Is like a pub without beer.

Van den Eeckhaut, G. and De Schutter, P. (2009). The Elasmobranch Fauna of the Lede Sand Formation at Oosterzele (Lutetian, Middle Eocene of Belgium). Palaeofocus, 1: 1-57, 2 figures, 2 tables, 22 plates.

Link to pdf on how to order:

http://www.palaeontos.be/NewBooks.pdf

You guys have neglected to mention the bible - I'm talking of course about Cappetta, 1987 - Handbook of Paleoicthyology, Chondrichthyes 2 - Mesozoic and Cenozoic chondrichthyes.

Bobby

You guys have neglected to mention the bible - I'm talking of course about Cappetta, 1987 - Handbook of Paleoicthyology, Chondrichthyes 2 - Mesozoic and Cenozoic chondrichthyes.

Bobby

Yes, this editor has very good books... maybe a little expensive!!!

I am looking for this one (preowned): ZANGERL, R.: Chondrichthyes I - Paleozoic Elasmobranchii

another good book (in Flemish, but don't worry, most of the book are pictures):

W. In't Hout, J. Ottema, 1987 - Fossielen vit het 4° havendock by Kallo, Belgium; Geologisch Museum A'Dam.

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Bobby,

Yeah, I should have listed that - still go to it these days and am looking forward to seeing the revised edition (said to include photos of dentitions) due at the end of this year. I just hope to have some extra money for it.

Jess

Bobby