Micro Fossil Storage

Paleofreak

I collected some microfossils from the Penn Dixie site (namely Conodonts from the North Evans Limestone and Ostracods from the weathered Windom Shale)

I got a microscope so I could observe them properly

But now I have a problem, I have bags full of sorted ad unsorted material, but no good way to store the best pieces

Any suggestions on how to store them? (the largest sharks teeth are <2mm and they get down to .5mm)

Hey Paleofreak you can purchase special slides for microfossils. These consist of a piece of cardboard, with one to four circles cut out that is sandwiched with a microscope slide in a special aluminum holder. Likewise you can get printed grids to sandwich as well. It's not the cheapest way to store your microfossils but it would be great for your very best specimens. These could then be stored in slide boxes.

Here's a link to Green Geological who specializes in supplies for micropaleontologists and geologists.

http://shop.greengeo...ervation_c3.htm

And here is a link to Lakeside Microscope Accessories which also carries these slides.

http://www.lakeside-products.com/html/paleontologic.html

Hope that helps out a bit.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

2 dram vials stored in a 9MM bullet box. Search for 2 dram vials on ebay; they're super cheap and specimens can be removed from them for study. I believe they also make 1 dram vials.

:) I store mine in penny holders purchased from coin shops.The white ones with the celophane center.You put the fossil in the holder pop on a few staples and write the info.directly on the holder.Also purchased a box to hold them from the same dealer.Works for me. :D

Bear-dog.

I found this on-line. This seems a neat way to photograph those tiny things.

post-40-050634200 1278614094_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Hi Paleofreak,

In my opinion, Green Geology has nicer slides but Lakeside prices were cheaper. If the quantity is too much, I'd be happy to split an order of slides with you. Send me a PM if interested.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

What I use for my small fossils are so called micromount boxes.

Micromount-boxes are very suitable for all your small collecting items.

Size: 28 x 28 x 22 mm. (W x D x H)

The price is € 9.95 per 100 pieces.

Although this is in The Netherlands, you can buy them all over the world.

see: http://www.bodemschat.nl/shop/bodemschatten.php?products_id=33000

regards,

Han

I have seen some paleontologists use small gelatin capsules for one or two micro-teeth with the capsule stored inside one of those 1x1 clear plastic boxes you can get from TAP PLASTICS or many jewelry supply dealers. Others use those slides palaeopix described.

Like bear-dog, I have also used coin holders - an inexpensive way to go that has been used for decades.

I collected some microfossils from the Penn Dixie site (namely Conodonts from the North Evans Limestone and Ostracods from the weathered Windom Shale)

I got a microscope so I could observe them properly

But now I have a problem, I have bags full of sorted ad unsorted material, but no good way to store the best pieces

Any suggestions on how to store them? (the largest sharks teeth are <2mm and they get down to .5mm)

Hi,

Here is a link to the only french manufacturer of small gelatin capsules : http://www.lga.fr/gelules-vides_c8.html?osCsid=0041da7c6611d1ccb00eae3313a900e5

You can find some colored, or not colored ones. They are very useful to protect the very small fossils. Hope this help you.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Do a search on this Forum for "Microfossil slides". It should return two of my postings, one of which describes how to make your own microfossil storage slides, the other describes the various methods I use to store microfossils. I also use the gelatin capsules especially when shipping microfossils to other collectors. I buy the capsules at my local health supplements/vitamin store. I think I paid about $7-8.00 for a pack of 100 capsules the last time I bought some. It was cheaper than buying on-line or mail order because there is no shipping/handling cost.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I found this on-line. This seems a neat way to photograph those tiny things.

That is one cool looking picture of the micros mounted on a "pin head mount".

PL

Thanks to everyone for their replies

I am going to try to make some slides based on jkfoam's instructions