Regarding Cretalamna species of the Ouled Abdoun Basin

Othniel C. Marsh

Posted (edited)

I have read through Arambourg's "Vertebres fossiles des phosphates de l'Afrique du Nord" in an attempt to gauge what species of the genera Cretalamna are present in the Ouled Abdoun Basin, with the help of sharkreferences.com. According to these two sources, 2 species are present in the phosphates:

Lamna appendiculata - Cretalamna appendiculata
Lamna biauriculata maroccana
Cretalamna nigeriana

However, on elasmo.com, Lamna biauriculata maroccana is stated to be synonymous with Cretalamna maroccana, a species not listed whatsoever on sharkreferences.com. The L. biauriculata maroccana teeth in Arambourg appear to be immensely similar to those labelled as C. maroccana on elasmo.com, which has led me to believe that C. nigeriana and maroccana are synonymous, which leads me to the question of which is valid, of which I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Othniel

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

• 2 weeks later...

To further complicate matters it has come to my attention that at least one more species of Cretalamna - C. biauriculata, which doesn't appear to have been mentioned in Arambourg at all - may also be present in the Ouled Abdoun Phosphates. In light of this, I think I shall alter my question to "What valid species of Cretalamna are present in the Ouled Abdoun Basin?"

Cretalamna is not very well researched at the moment, there are many undescribed species and it may be easier to just label cretalamna sp. For now, though the only 2 I I know from the phosphates are biariculata/maroccana

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

I see. Are there any papers concerning sharks (or vertebrates in general) from the Ouled Abdoun Basin to the extent of Arambourg's paper that are a little more up to date? With regards to Cretalamna species from the Ouled Abdoun Basin, it would indeed appear that the other Cretalamna-type teeth on Plate 14 in Arambourg's paper do look more like those labelled as biauriculata that appendiculata, though sharkreferences.com states that Lamna appendiculata is synonymous with C. appendiculata.

On 6/7/2024 at 7:29 PM, Othniel C. Marsh said:

I see. Are there any papers concerning sharks (or vertebrates in general) from the Ouled Abdoun Basin to the extent of Arambourg's paper that are a little more up to date? With regards to Cretalamna species from the Ouled Abdoun Basin, it would indeed appear that the other Cretalamna-type teeth on Plate 14 in Arambourg's paper do look more like those labelled as biauriculata that appendiculata, though sharkreferences.com states that Lamna appendiculata is synonymous with C. appendiculata.

Hi there, make sure you tag people in replies so they see them ;) I don’t think so arambourg was definitely the most extensive but it is largely outdated now( though still a useful resource)

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

10 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

Hi there, make sure you tag people in replies so they see them

Ordinarily I would, but my haste got the better of me.

10 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

I don’t think so arambourg was definitely the most extensive but it is largely outdated now( though still a useful resource)

I see. Your guidance is much appreciated, @Notidanodon.

• Enjoyed 1