Stratford Cliffs Fossil Hunting Excursion

Atoothsatooth42

Hello again! Went on my first planned fossil hunting trip with a local club, this was to Stratford Cliffs. And I got to say, I will be back again for sure. What an incredible opportunity this was, on a day that could not have been any better for fossil hunting.

This was a refreshing pause to all of my Paleocene trips lately, as much as I love finding Otodus Obliquus teeth. This trip was out of my comfort zone, but a welcomed one! It starts out with everyone meeting at a local point in the park, signing waivers, and then we are unleashed upon the beach!

There were large Tiger and Bull shark teeth everywhere I looked it seemed! Always fun to pick up one every few feet, however after a bit I was beginning to feel left out in terms of the truly large tooth department, a bit of a bummer in the moment. An hour went by until I noticed the “hump” of a tooth barely showing above the sand, I flicked it with my finger and out pops this incredible 1.5 inch lower hemi! Truly phenomenal find and I felt I was finally on the board for what I was expecting.

5 hours out in the sun, each seemingly better than the last, as I collected teeth, finding 3 out of 4 of the hastalis along about 10-15 feet of beach, was surreal at times. To top off a tiresome, but fulfilling trip, I found the dolphin and sperm whale tooth on my walk back! A crazy variety of fossils were found, I didn’t expect to stay as long as I did, but I barely was able to scrape myself off the beach! 

This trip was TOTALLY worth the money and then some. I would highly recommend looking up some trips with local clubs in your area. While results may vary due to weather or tides, the experience in itself, going to a new beach or site, meeting new interesting people, and the possibility of finding something amazing is worth it!

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

• Enjoyed 13

This is Calvert Cliffs area, right?  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

This is Calvert Cliffs area, right?  

It is the same age but on the Potomac River in Virginia.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

• Enjoyed 1

Glad to see you had a good trip! The sperm  whale tooth is cool, and the dolphin bullae are often hard to spot unless you have an eye for them. Hope you’ll come back.. the teeth will only get bigger!

• Enjoyed 1

Congratulations on your lovely finds and thanks for sharing them.

• Enjoyed 1