Most complete Stegosaurus "Apex" is about to be sold at an auction

Brevicollis

I caught the last part of an interview on NPR (public radio, for our non-USA members) where some vertebrate paleontologist (I did not catch the name) was whining about how no-one except professional paleontologists should be allowed to own fossils.  They didn't limit what they meant by "fossils", so I assume that would include brachiopods, trilobites, snails. Green River fish, etc.  I also did not catch the part about where he proposed to get the funds to hire armies of professional collectors to make sure all those fossils are not lost to erosion.

Don

• Enjoyed 1

With a price like that, I won't be surprised if it's going to the new museum in Abu Dhabi. They didn't immediately announce it was them with their previous big purchases. Let's hope

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

1 hour ago, Jared C said:

With a price like that, I won't be surprised if it's going to the new museum in Abu Dhabi. They didn't immediately announce it was them with their previous big purchases. Let's hope

should go to an US-Museum, this is what we have heard.

But..., some arabian countries are planning huge dinosaur-museums. They have the money and the power to do.

Lets wait, might be we see lot of dinos from the last auctions there one day when they open... 

• 5 weeks later...

WOW!!! Just catching up with this thread.  What a staggering amount- more than any T-Rex, which is the most iconic dinosaur.  That price tag is beyond even most mega-rich collectors, and something seems very Arabian with that amount... just saying....  Can't think of many US (or Euro) museums that would pay that much.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Hedge fund billionaire Ken Griffin, founder and CEO of Citadel, has been revealed as the buyer of the record-setting "Apex" Stegosaurus skeleton at a Sotheby's auction yesterday. 

The buyer has been revealed!

Griffin plans to explore loaning the specimen to a U.S. institution, and wants to share it with the public, as opposed to hanging it as a trophy exclusively for private viewing.

"Apex was born in America and is going to stay in America!" Griffin said following the sale, according to a person familiar with the matter. 

I hope it ends up on public display!  Mr. Griffin apparently helped the Field mueseum acquire the T-rex 'Sue', so good chance he'll work with the Field or similar museum concerning Apex.

This is good news fellow TFF members!

Source, and full article:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ken-griffin-apex-stegosaurus-buyer-auction/

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea