Aaron16

Stone. no fossil.

• I Agree 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I’m trying to post a different image. It was not a good picture. You can see details of the teeth . Just let me figure out how to post a better picture.

Posted (edited)

Hello, where exactly was this found and can you please include measurements ?

But from all what I can see so far, this does not look like any reptile or human piece, as its to big for any human bone, except skull and pelvis.

But these have a completly different shape than this, it might look like a skull to you, but its just again a good example of interpretation and how rocks can fool us. 

Here two pictures to compare. Looks completly different than a human skull, right ?

IMG_1076.jpeg.a59ec787827e403a7228b9e4b55b0ae9.jpeg

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.9fd9cd112fcba6a896a4518cf7bc5625.jpeg

Reptile is also very unlikely, as im not seeing any bone structure here. If you think, that this piece might be dinosaur, Im sorry to dissapoint you, as it does not look like any reptilian bone fragment or bone. Lacking of bone structure, no distinct shape, Triassic is very sparse in georgia, Jurassic is completly missing, but there are some creataceous sediments containing fossils known from the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology_in_Georgia_(U.S._state)

So please include the exact finding location, if there really, really hides some fossil in there, wich I think it doesnt, because of the already stated reasons.

If you still think that its a skull or fossil of some sort, I would reccomend you, that you should get this piece examined by a professional paleontologist at your local museum or University and then come back with what they've said. Good luck !

Im not seeing a fossil of any sort here :unsure:

Edited by Brevicollis
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

North east georgia, U.S. I will definitely take them to get checked out. They were found around some structures that were are clearly old world. The walls are at least 2’ thick solid stone

The measurements are about the same size of an adult human head. But I do agree. I think it could be maybe a prehistoric bear or maybe sloth

Sorry, but I'm not seeing any fossils here,  just rocks.

No bone textures or sutures. Looks like limestone, to me.

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I’m sorry but I’m also not seeing anything but rocks.

nice shape of the stones, but - as mentioned - only stones, no fossil 

Ok I’m confused I thought that bone mineralizes and the mineral's take the shape of the bone? 

I know that teeth will crystallize and turn to quarts. So why can’t bone turn into stone?

Finn Lover I read your “Georgia encyclopedia “ sometimes you have to look with your own eyes and not just assume that what somebody tells you is the truth. Step outside the box of popular belief. Anything is possible.

These are good questions. 

You're exactly right that when bone mineralizes, the mineral takes the shape of the bone.  So what we find will look exactly the same as it did in life. 

Areas of bone that are naturally porous typically remain porous.  So the texture of the mineral and its level of porosity can often help us tell the difference between a regular stone and a mineralized bone.   This porosity (fairly uniform, small, deep holes) shows up in places where a piece has been weathered or broken. Your piece lacks that characteristic.  Instead the texture looks consistent with regular limestone.

A skull is actually made of many different bones joined together at "suture" points.  When we find a mostly intact fossil skull, we can often see those suture lines.  But skulls are very fragile, and most don't survive long enough to mineralize.

Tooth enamel is already extremely hard and made of mostly inorganic tissue, so they tend to last an extremely long time while changing very little.   For example, fossil shark teeth can survive millions of years but look almost exactly the same.  Their color changes based on what material they were in, but their shape won't.

The soft parts of the tooth inside the enamel will be affected by other minerals, but they won't transform into an entirely new rock.

• I Agree 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Aaron16 said:

Finn Lover I read your “Georgia encyclopedia “ sometimes you have to look with your own eyes and not just assume that what somebody tells you is the truth. Step outside the box of popular belief. Anything is possible.

Thanks, I did look first, I was just trying to be helpful.  I have found that research makes my fossil hunting trips much more successful. 

As Brandy mentioned, teeth will change colors due to minerals, but they don't turn into crystals or quartz.

Edited by Fin Lover
  • I Agree 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

I'm with the others: there are no visible details here to suggest a fossil or bone of any kind.

I wonder why some people have more of a case of pareidolia and others dont have it at all? 

RB

1 hour ago, Aaron16 said:

I know that teeth will crystallize and turn to quarts. So why can’t bone turn into stone?

Teeth do not turn into quartz.  :unsure: Teeth have enamel, which fossilizes. 

Bones can be replaced with minerals, but still look like bones, only harder.

Your items have no bone texture, no teeth, no sutures or skull morphology.

You have some rocks. Probably limestone, possibly sandstone.

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me