Aaron16

Posted (edited)

Having been in this hobby a year, this is definitely a recurring theme. I'm in a FB group with a side chat for ID's, and there are some very persistent people who will fall on that sword if anyone says their fossil is not a fossil. I mean all sciences push for you to exhaust every angle, but sometimes it's just a rock. 

I usually send them a link to their local Museum or Paleontology Club, and suggest they setup an in-person inspection with a Paleontologist, etc. 

Edited by Masonk
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, RJB said:

I wonder why some people have more of a case of pareidolia and others dont have it at all? 

RB

What would you think would this be, when you're really new into fossils, geology, and all that. What would you think this would be, when you knew nothing about extinct flora and fauna ? What would you think this would be, when you start again at zero ?

You would probably explain these phenomenons to yourself with something like "Oh, that must be a raptor claw, it really looks like one I saw on TV a couple decades ago" or "this must be a dinosaur tooth, its long and thin and a bit curved" but you've never seen one. But after hunting and gaining more knowledge, you'll get better with pareidolia and real fossils, you start to know, what you have to look for and for what not. Everyone here wasnt born as an expert on fossils, pareidolia, and geology, everything came after some time.

You probably either. And I think, that even experienced members here also take stones to their home, to find out that its just a rock. 

Or some people have just more phantasy than others, that might also explain why :headscratch:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

1 hour ago, Brevicollis said:

What would you think would this be, when you're really new into fossils, geology, and all that. What would you think this would be, when you knew nothing about extinct flora and fauna ? What would you think this would be, when you start again at zero ?

You would probably explain these phenomenons to yourself with something like "Oh, that must be a raptor claw, it really looks like one I saw on TV a couple decades ago" or "this must be a dinosaur tooth, its long and thin and a bit curved" but you've never seen one. But after hunting and gaining more knowledge, you'll get better with pareidolia and real fossils, you start to know, what you have to look for and for what not. Everyone here wasnt born as an expert on fossils, pareidolia, and geology, everything came after some time.

You probably either. And I think, that even experienced members here also take stones to their home, to find out that its just a rock. 

Or some people have just more phantasy than others, that might also explain why :headscratch:

Very true! But I interpret Masonk's question as why some people persist in this despite being offered a ton of different opinions by experiences people. Everyone can bring rocks or things that may look like fossils. You don't know what you don't know, that's why you ask. And even experienced fossil hunters recognize the doubt that can take hold of you when you find something that you know is not a fossil, but is sooo hard trying to do it's best to convince you it is that you start doubting it. 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I wonder why some people have more of a case of pareidolia and others dont have it at all? 

RB

Humans in general are highwired to spot patterns, expecially faces, since it has been important to recognise other people.

With some people it is simply very strong trait and weaker on others.

• I found this Informative 3

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

I know what I see. Sometimes you just need to open your mind a little bit.

Just because you’ve been told something doesn’t mean it’s true. You should do a little bit investigating before you think. Something is impossible.

6 minutes ago, Aaron16 said:

You should do a little bit investigating before you think. 

I agree...you should. 

• I Agree 4

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

5 minutes ago, Aaron16 said:

If you are insinuating that the previous photos show teeth which are turned into quartz, then please prove your claim using scientific methods. My mind is open for proof that makes sense to me.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• Fossildude19 locked this topic
17 minutes ago, Aaron16 said:

These are quartz crystals, not teeth.  By what process would enamel turn to quartz?

Opening my mind does not produce a rational explanation for a process that would create this.

Topic is now locked, as further discussion is fruitless.

@Aaron16

Please take your items to a paleontologist at a natural history museum, and ask about them there.

We are not going to be convinced by more photos of rocks.  We cannot change your mind.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 2
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me