Jaybot

So, I think I figured this one out, but I feel like my id needs to be verified since I am unfamiliar with Sirenian fossils.

Found in glacial till/ deposits of E Kansas, USA

When I first found it, I immediately noticed the lack of enamel.  The tooth is also unerupted.  No roots visible, however this may or may not be a preservational factor.  Now, I am not familiar with too many mammals that lack enamel, but I knew it wasn’t a xenarthran.  I am currently of the opinion that is is a dugong tooth, but could it be a different extinct sirenian?  Or am I completely off, and it is in fact something entirely different?

Thanks so much in advance y’all.  I’m trying to learn as much as I can, so don’t hesitate to correct me :)

Measurements are in cm/mm:

IMG_3627.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3628.jpeg

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

IMG_3632.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Are you sure that it's not entirely enamel?

It looks like enamel to me.

Have you looked at gomphothere or mastodon? It would be a baby for sure.

@harrypristis

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Posted (edited)

@fossilus I suppose that is a possibility, however I am pretty sure that there is no enamel, and that it is dentin.   A hunting partner of mine once found a fragment of ground sloth tooth, and this seems to be of the same material.  Enamel from our locality looks like these:

IMG_2386.thumb.jpeg.10c2a468de8f64130aab54a2864a5c0a.jpegIMG_1741.thumb.jpeg.745ab334459ff8496a2354ecd531a7c7.jpegIMG_0648.thumb.jpeg.7246cdf5c83eae87df19b01b8b231027.jpeg

Edited by Jaybot
Corrections

-Jay

It appears to me to be an all-enamel elephantoid milk tooth . . . probably gomphothere.  All the softer dentine has been weathered away.  

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

A very young gomphothere is an extremely unusual and cool find.  Most would say that you found a treasure. Many adult teeth are found for every milk tooth.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Woah!  Gomphothere….  I guess I dismissed the idea that it was entirely enamel too easily, learned something new. :)

Thank you @fossilus and @Harry Pristis!  I’ve never found anything this rare or unique, so naturally I am ecstatic right now.  Have a great weekend y’all 

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

Looks similar to the P4 in this photo of a pig skull from here.

IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks similar to the P4 in this photo of a pig skull from here.

IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg

This would definitely be need to be eliminated and would be a far more likely find. My first impression though is that it looks different. If the ruler is in inches this would be a huge p4 for a pig.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, fossilus said:

If the ruler is in inches this would be a huge p4 for a pig

Looks metric to me. It is divided in 10ths.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Measurements are in cm/mm

• Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Looks metric to me. It is divided in 10ths.

You make an interesting point, Al:  This is not a typical rule in the images.  But, it is divided into twentieths, not tenths.  I assumed it was in inches based on the presence of a 'half' hachure, typical for inches, but not for mm.  The OP should clarify.  

I think that the tooth doesn't much resemble a pig tooth, beyond the fact that both are bunodont.

EDIT:  I see that the OP has explained the rule is in cm.  The size makes my elephantoid guess less confident.  I still don't think it's an adult pig tooth.  

pig_uppers.jpg.897612f0f6b900396b70e0d2efdac8fb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you to everyone for continued ID’ing help!  It’s my fault for the measurement confusion; next time I will clarify that my ruler has .5 mm marks, unlike most rulers.  
  So, if this is a bunodont tooth… is there a list somewhere of animals with aforementioned teeth?

I am currently away, so I won’t be able to provide more precise measurements until I am back.  Again, thanks to all for the help!

Have a great day 

-Jay

I just had a thought… is there a test or technique to differentiate between enemal or dentine?  Or is it just by feel/experience?

-Jay

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 11:22 AM, Harry Pristis said:

The size makes my elephantoid guess less confident.

Sorry to keep bugging y’all… I did however find this: 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Upper-left-tooth-row-and-hemimandible-of-MPG-R-5099-showing-DP2-and-DP3-A-Left-lateral_fig1_362887678

IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.67e3c805db666f8fe78a7664408bf31c.jpeg

Scale bar is in 50 mm; so my specimen being elephantoid is still possible.  I am open to hearing other id suggestions of course :)  Thanks y’all 

EDIT: After some more research, and studying the teeth in the paper, I feel confident enough to label my tooth as gomp.  Thanks y’all for all the help and useful info

Edited by Jaybot
  • I found this Informative 1

-Jay