Identifying Restoration And Repair On Dino Teeth

Vankor

I've searched a bit and haven't found a topic specifically devoted to this. So what are the best ways to identify restoration or repair on dinosaur teeth? Obviously the Moroccan teeth are made out of different rock than out in South Dakota say, but generally what are some rules of thumb? I've decided that is where the bulk of my collection will lie and at the end of August I'm heading out to the Royal Tyrrell museum for a vacation and if I find fossils to purchase along the way or there any advice is appreciated.

looking at a bazillion examples, looking with magnification, looking with uv light, looking at specific points and areas on a specimen and not just seeing the "big picture"...educating yourself regarding what specimens of specific animals from specific places should look like, recognizing that you never buy the hype or the story, only the specimen.

the biggest problem i've seen with how people collect is that they want something to be what they want so badly that they fantasize it into being what it isn't and ignore the warning signs. a sense of urgency in your acquisitions works hugely against your interests.

Hello, I prepare and I like a lot of dinosaurus particularly the teeth, may be I can advise you if you own pictures. I have some teeth Tarbosaurus, Dromaeosauridae of France, and others, I do not hesitate to show the restorations made. So do not hesitate!

The enamel of the teeth, keels, the battlements, plaice of emails etc ...

But without pictures it's difficult.

Here are some examples:

0% of restauration or just consolidation: Tarbosaurus bataard from mongolie

img4725dt.th.jpg

env. 20% of restauration: Tarbosaurus bataard from Mongolie

dent3bis1.th.jpg

0% of restoration: Is an french dromaeosauridae of berriasien

img5208b.th.jpg

again very very sorry for my english... or frenglish :)

Edited by Vari Raptor

Ignorance is bliss...

facebook.com/TheStoneHouse.fr

Some preppers are getting really good at filling in big cracks, chunks, or lost tips with putty sculpted to follow the natural curves of the tooth. They can restore lost serrations and match paint to the natural color of the tooth.

However, most preppers aren't at that level. Serrations are tough to get right so look for those that look carved rather than being tiny regularly-spaced, rounded-tip enamel structures. Get a look at broken teeth of species you are interested in to familiarize yourself with what the tooth shapes are at different jaw positions and what the serrations look like within one species and from one species to another. You should look for technical articles on the teeth you want. The terminology can get thick but there's usually a few close-up photos too and you can pick up on the lingo over time. If you're going to get into dinosaur teeth, you have to educate yourself because they are generally rather expensive - even some of the small ones.

I've searched a bit and haven't found a topic specifically devoted to this. So what are the best ways to identify restoration or repair on dinosaur teeth? Obviously the Moroccan teeth are made out of different rock than out in South Dakota say, but generally what are some rules of thumb? I've decided that is where the bulk of my collection will lie and at the end of August I'm heading out to the Royal Tyrrell museum for a vacation and if I find fossils to purchase along the way or there any advice is appreciated.

The enamel of the teeth, keels, the battlements, plaice of emails etc ...

But without pictures it's difficult.

Here are some examples:

Salut Vari Raptor and readers...

A quick note to avoid confusion. Vari Raptor uses the word "emails" which is the French word for enamel, not an electronic mail message.

Ho Sorry this is really difficult to get into the technical details in English ... Thank you for the correction, I hope to continue to improve my English among you.

I would like to add one of the easiest things to distinguish the restoration serrations are often on the edge of the tooth can characteristic of nombeurs taxa... Look at my links above.

thanks again for the correction JPC ;)

Ignorance is bliss...

facebook.com/TheStoneHouse.fr

Thanks Vari Raptor. Would you want me to PM you pics? I don't have tons (pic of most of what is in my collection is in my gallery) but I'd like to learn how to spot stuff.