Mosasaur vs crocodile tooth

swendy

• New Members

Hi! First time poster looking for help identifying if this tooth is mosasaur, crocodile, or something else. Found on the dredged banks of the Savannah river, near Savannah GA. 

I was leaning towards Mosasaur from the research I've done but I'm pretty new to identifying things. The root cavity is conical. There is a ridge going vertically from the root to top on the tall side. It's overall pretty conical in shape but the tip appears worn or broken. About 24 mm in length.

Thanks in advance! Links to other posts welcome. 

1000004835.jpg

1000004832.jpg

1000004833.jpg

1000004823.jpg

1000004831.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I'm not aware of Cretaceous fossils in the Savannah area.  I think you have a crocodilian tooth, a large one.  Good find.

gatorvsmosasaurtoothB.jpg.f4e4e9335d416c54768b79c57f95d505.jpggatorvsmosasaurtooth.jpg.62203ef2849a605987c3f9e2227ba6de.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• New Members

Thanks @Harry Pristis!! And thanks for sharing those comparison pictures. Does the Mosasaurus typically have a smaller root cavity? I noticed in picture 2 it has a flat bottom and small opening into the cavity. I guess it's essentially thicker?

The roots of the two taxa are quite different.  Mosasaur teeth have closed pulp cavities though the root is commonly lost.  Croc's have open cavities.  To disambiguate them, I would refer you to the form and finish of the enamel portion of the teeth.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest