Dealing with existing prep work on a Hell Creek dinosaur bone

TriVeratops

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Nice. The repairs you show, the more I wish the original prepped would stop touching fossils completely. 

Looking at the cleaned surface, it looks to have a pretty significant separation and matrix infill along this line. Curious if you are planning on correcting those lines, and your plan.

That is such a good question. I wasn’t planning to, but as I look at those gaps, there aren’t that many connecting points and it might be relatively easy to get them apart. I’m guessing I’d need to use acetone to soften any adhesive in those gaps, but if you know a better way, please let me know! 

I’m also thinking about those areas in particular because they are connected to the piece circled in red below, which is displaced and covers another area of exterior bone. It’s partly held up by the piece of matrix circled in green. If I remove and reposition that piece and the matrix underneath it, it should make it easier to remove that whole end piece, remove the matrix in the gap, and get a better join.

IMG_6455.thumb.jpeg.18ec143a287c48503bd5449ee991f2d5.jpeg

Where it might get weird is on the other side. These two pieces connect with that big break and I’m not sure how they’ll behave if I mess with it. On the other hand, this intervention could give me an opportunity to reposition these two pieces, as their exterior surface isn’t level with the surrounding bone.

IMG_6457.thumb.jpeg.8190fc1f1ec664335debf1465ca36423.jpeg

More pics showing the gap and the lack of connecting points inside.IMG_6458.thumb.jpeg.15a10f5d78a504e813acee7c26f87509.jpegIMG_6459.thumb.jpeg.654c05f867fa5e2e7b065206ea176fb1.jpeg

The other join (the part that the coracoid would have connected to in life) is much tighter, but it’s slightly off rotation. I think it might be harder to remove, but if you see a way to do it, I’d love to know. This piece doesn’t bother me as much.

IMG_6460.thumb.jpeg.a0802c4fab58c753baa76d818efe7395.jpeg

Edited by TriVeratops
  • Enjoyed 1

Before going deeper, I agree that the last pic looks fine and I wouldnt mess with it.

Disarticulating all the breaks is what I do on my preps.  Some times you get all the inner matrix out and get a clean, beautiful join on to the part.  Some times you find it has lost all of that connecting material and it will never make a clean connection, then you end up epoxying it basically how it was before. But at least you know its a solid joint now.  For the pieces that are offset, you can definitely help.  The difficulty could be in getting those pieces apart, especially since we dont know what the previous person did or didnt do.  Start with a dental pick and see if you can dig out the matrix or if it feels set with glue.  If its glued, you might try dropping acetone in the crack, wrap in plastic-wrap and let it set about 10 minutes, then see what you can clear away.  I use a micro blaster and microscope, but you can do it with hand tools.  Just be careful as it could also be easy to dig away fossil.

Dont do too many areas at once, and place all the pieces into a tray in their relative position and orientation to make it easier to re-assemble.  Trust me, too many separated chunks will lead to cussing and trying to figure out where part #57 goes, and what way it faced, etc.  Take lots of pictures as you work for a final back-up of piece placements. Also, re-assembly of these pieces isnt 100% like a puzzle.  They wont fit perfectly, so spend a LOT of time holding pieces in place, staring at them from every angle, analysing if the angles look right from ALL orientations AND relationship to neighboring pieces.  Its easy to glue something on, have the edges look perfect and angle looks right, until you flip it over and realize the angle is not correct on that side, and needed 15 degrees more or less angle, etc.   

Using a sand box (or bucket) can help a lot as a 3rd hand in this part of the prep.  I like to start on one end and work my way across.  Stand the fossil up and let the sand around it hold in place, then you have both hands free to work, and you can move freely around the part to inspect it.  For gapped joins, I like to use a small, center core of epoxy to position, then let it cure.  After that you can come back and fill out the gap with more epoxy. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

Before going deeper, I agree that the last pic looks fine and I wouldnt mess with it.

Disarticulating all the breaks is what I do on my preps.  Some times you get all the inner matrix out and get a clean, beautiful join on to the part.  Some times you find it has lost all of that connecting material and it will never make a clean connection, then you end up epoxying it basically how it was before. But at least you know its a solid joint now.  For the pieces that are offset, you can definitely help.  The difficulty could be in getting those pieces apart, especially since we dont know what the previous person did or didnt do.  Start with a dental pick and see if you can dig out the matrix or if it feels set with glue.  If its glued, you might try dropping acetone in the crack, wrap in plastic-wrap and let it set about 10 minutes, then see what you can clear away.  I use a micro blaster and microscope, but you can do it with hand tools.  Just be careful as it could also be easy to dig away fossil.

Dont do too many areas at once, and place all the pieces into a tray in their relative position and orientation to make it easier to re-assemble.  Trust me, too many separated chunks will lead to cussing and trying to figure out where part #57 goes, and what way it faced, etc.  Take lots of pictures as you work for a final back-up of piece placements. Also, re-assembly of these pieces isnt 100% like a puzzle.  They wont fit perfectly, so spend a LOT of time holding pieces in place, staring at them from every angle, analysing if the angles look right from ALL orientations AND relationship to neighboring pieces.  Its easy to glue something on, have the edges look perfect and angle looks right, until you flip it over and realize the angle is not correct on that side, and needed 15 degrees more or less angle, etc.   

Using a sand box (or bucket) can help a lot as a 3rd hand in this part of the prep.  I like to start on one end and work my way across.  Stand the fossil up and let the sand around it hold in place, then you have both hands free to work, and you can move freely around the part to inspect it.  For gapped joins, I like to use a small, center core of epoxy to position, then let it cure.  After that you can come back and fill out the gap with more epoxy. 

Fantastic advice, thank you so much! I’ll plan on doing it this way. And yes I’ve been thinking I’ll do the sand bucket method when it’s ready for reassembly.

This project is a huge can of worms, but I’m really enjoying it!

On 8/11/2024 at 4:31 PM, TriVeratops said:

This project is a huge can of worms, but I’m really enjoying it!

You are doing great!

Your first big prep project is always a can of worms!

Edited by trilobites_are_awesome
Spelling
  • Thank You 1

Cheers!

James

Okay, made some real progress.

I finally removed the last of the plaster on the proximal end (still gotta get to the distal end though, I saved the easier part for last).

With the plaster gone, it was relatively easy to re-break the gapped join on the glenoid side, along with the displaced chunks of bone in the surrounding area, and clear out the matrix in the joins. Because I’ve been applying consolidant, the pieces are fairly sturdy and I haven’t had any new breaks.

I don’t think I’m going to get a flawless join, but the pieces are much better aligned. 

Before

IMG_6458.thumb.jpeg.2101dc29f932c35ff62b39df389a455b.jpeg

After

IMG_6531.thumb.jpeg.564b81560a456ac62c6e8e45ef30fff9.jpeg

Before

IMG_6457.thumb.jpeg.d503296cac13ecb96a7ab8afede74d46.jpeg

After

IMG_6529.thumb.jpeg.37a8472d9b0069cef21ba7c979884c0b.jpeg

I knew this piece was way out of place. Pretty sure it goes here. 

IMG_6532.thumb.jpeg.a485f306a26f52147d1a28c18f2538bf.jpeg

I’m planning to apply more Paraloid to all the broken pieces in the areas I couldn’t reach before re-breaking, then reassemble using epoxy and the sand bucket method.

• Enjoyed 5

It looks fantastic! This is really inspiring me to work on my scapula.

• Thank You 1

20 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

It looks fantastic! This is really inspiring me to work on my scapula.

Do ittt :))) Also if it’s from a hadrosaur, I’d love to see pictures of it, as I’m always looking for more good visual reference to reconstruct the ends of this one!

you are really making head way on this project!

Amazing work!

• Thank You 1

Cheers!

James

10 hours ago, TriVeratops said:

Do ittt :))) Also if it’s from a hadrosaur, I’d love to see pictures of it, as I’m always looking for more good visual reference to reconstruct the ends of this one!

I will let you know I haven't uncovered the proximal end yet the bone quality is not as nice as yours.

• Thank You 1

As I mentioned earlier, the join on the coracoid side wasn’t all that bad…but I decided it wasn’t all that good either. This one was a little harder to get apart, but a few drops of acetone and ten minutes wrapped in plastic wrap worked beautifully.

Before

IMG_6564.thumb.jpeg.8ad594646098321c4e044785d8025622.jpeg

After

IMG_6569.thumb.jpeg.5d5bab72f56c3993d92a4a6d5890b8bc.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done just about all the cleanup and consolidation I want to do on the proximal end, but there’s one more area I’m not sure if I should change before I start reassembly. 

This piece is pretty clearly bent out of shape, if not out of place. I’ve cleaned matrix off and soaked it several times with acetone, but unlike the other pieces I was able to re-break, this one doesn’t want to separate and doesn’t have an obvious break point. This suggests that it wasn’t glued in place like the other pieces and is in its in situ/as found position. 

IMG_6589.thumb.jpeg.5e2852a043c0dd6d222e166f9c3c81a2.jpeg

IMG_6590.thumb.jpeg.38f32cfee2ba0647ae9c1745496bd024.jpeg

IMG_6588.thumb.jpeg.d1ba4d8528711c135b90c78b896eb2c9.jpeg

What would you guys suggest I do with this? Should I keep trying to reposition it or let it be a natural flaw in the fossil? I’m leaning toward the latter because I’m fairly certain I can do gap fill around it without it looking terrible, but I’d be interested in hearing your opinions @hadrosauridae and anybody else before I move forward.

Edited by TriVeratops

Some times, things get broken and moved before and during fossilization.  If you want to leave it, I dont see any problem with that.  All fossils are flawed in some way!  

• Thank You 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

On 9/2/2024 at 8:59 PM, hadrosauridae said:

All fossils are flawed in some way!  

That's part of the beauty of them if you ask me :)

• I Agree 2

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

I appreciate the reassurance :) It can be challenging to decide when to repair and when to let the fossil be perfectly imperfect!

• Enjoyed 1

I definitely prefer to leave it. Things like that provide context into the fossilization process.

• I Agree 2