Fullux

Howdy all,

Super excited about this piece of amber I just picked up! It's from the Bladen Formation of North Carolina and was found in the Neuse River. I consider myself lucky to have gotten it, as this location is very hard to get material from, at least from my experience.

The reason I'm making this post is because the seller included pictures of a small plant inclusion inside the piece.

I think it looks like a piece if moss, some fungus, or maybe a needle to a conifer, but I'm certainly not an expert on these particular fossils.

Any of y'all know what it is?

s-l1600 (12).png

s-l1600 (8).png

s-l1600 (9).png

s-l1600 (10).png

s-l1600 (11).png

• Enjoyed 1

Nice pics.  I'm interested in following this one.:popcorn:

On 6/2/2024 at 3:51 AM, Rockwood said:

Bug poop?

I did a quick search and read that cockroach poop is relatively commonly preserved in amber. Could it be that?

6 minutes ago, Fullux said:

I did a quick search and read that cockroach poop is relatively commonly preserved in amber. Could it be that?

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this might be more like a caterpillar would do, do. 

:b_idea: Even better, snail poop. 

• I found this Informative 1

Really nice pickup. 

Don't see Amber from this location very often :envy:

• Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

Really nice pickup. 

Don't see Amber from this location very often :envy:

The seller has a few other pieces from that locality if you're interested.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 9:40 PM, M Harvey said:

Nice pics.  I'm interested in following this one.:popcorn:

Got here yesterday! Here's a nice video I got of it. I'll be on a hike tomorrow so I'll probably get some better pictures then:

The pictures included by the seller did it no justice whatsoever. At least in my opinion, this piece is STUNNING. Especially in the light of the late afternoon. 

Edited by Fullux

Really looks good! Just a note though. Don’t leave your amber piece in direct sunlight too much. The u.v. Will degrade it.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Really looks good! Just a note though. Don’t leave your amber piece in direct sunlight too much. The u.v. Will degrade it.

Noted! Any recommendations for proper storage?

Edited by Fullux

Someplace without direct sunlight and where the temp and humidity stays fairly constant. So away from furnace and A.C Vents and windows. Occasional short exposure to u.v. Light wont do super lots but too much can darken it. Temperature and too dry conditions can cause the surface to craze over time. I store mine in my finished basement where the temp and humidity is fairly constant  ( my man cave, prep room and display areas are down there) in gem jars and storage cases like these. But anywhere away from the above dangers will do.

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Nice acquisition @Fullux! Always nice to see material from Appalachia. Also, very nice display case @Randyw.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2024 at 8:42 PM, Randyw said:

Someplace without direct sunlight and where the temp and humidity stays fairly constant. So away from furnace and A.C Vents and windows. Occasional short exposure to u.v. Light wont do super lots but too much can darken it. Temperature and too dry conditions can cause the surface to craze over time. I store mine in my finished basement where the temp and humidity is fairly constant  ( my man cave, prep room and display areas are down there) in gem jars and storage cases like these. But anywhere away from the above dangers will do.

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

Should this be sufficient in keeping it safe? I have it in a gem jar and it's on a shelf somewhat away from a window. It's a south facing window and sunlight does shine on some spots of the general area during the early morning.

20240701_014205~2.jpg

20240701_014911.jpg

Edited by Fullux
  • Enjoyed 1

I am afraid I don’t have enough information to answer that.

1) is the room temp fairly constant?

2)Does the heater/ac vent blow on it?

3)by sunlight hitting the general area how close it it? Does it hit there? Etc etc…

On 7/1/2024 at 1:49 AM, Fullux said:

Should this be sufficient in keeping it safe? I have it in a gem jar and it's on a shelf somewhat away from a window. It's a south facing window and sunlight does shine on some spots of the general area during the early morning.

20240701_014205~2.jpg

20240701_014911.jpg

Very nice display idea! The illustrations on the wall give life to the display and are a nice addition to the fossils themselves. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I agree! Thats a great looking display!

• Thank You 1

Much obliged, @Randyw and @Andúril Flame of the West, it took me a while to get it just the way I wanted it.

in reguards to @Randyw's questions, I would say the room temp stays pretty constant, the ac is positioned on the other side of the room if I remember correctly (on a trip at the moment and it's not exactly something I pay much mind to when I am home), and when the sunlight hits that area in the early morning, most of it hits the wall behind it, but sometimes it can shine dimly on some of the fossils. I also have it in a display jar which might help protect it.