Texas Cretaceous... Crocodile?

JamieLynn

After doing some internet research I am tentatively thinking these might be crocodile teeth rather than fish.....I can't seem to find any examples of Cretaceous fish that these might fit. But looking at the croc teeth,  I see some similarities. Both of these were found at the same site in Central Texas, Austin Chalk formation. They are 1/4 inch.  Any thoughts on these ?

KTXVER201ToothShoalCkGrnlawn(1)_edited.thumb.jpg.c99e50240ee6e9ca2b6e487cc992cf9d.jpg

KTXVER201ToothShoalCkGrnlawn(2).thumb.jpg.37eb4d27ec32eab50780e5e140cd5b6d.jpg

KTXVER201ToothShoalCkGrnlawn.thumb.jpg.8aa5942c08ca3b3c929fd2b0ab452ae5.jpg

ToothShoalCkGreenlawnAustin(3).thumb.jpg.166588bfbc24d2be2458aa92882426e5.jpg

ToothShoalCkGreenlawnAustin(5).thumb.jpg.f14d21f363005380e363bd30e780c242.jpg

Tooth Shoal Ck Greenlawn Austin (4).jpg

• Enjoyed 4
  • I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tricky ones, these...! I've got no idea. The second one reminds me of mosasaur and may be a palatal tooth. However, the first, being so stubby, doesn't particularly remind me of crocodiles I know: it doesn't have any carinae, nor an obvious division in labial and lingual sides, or, by the looks of it, clear and strong curvature towards the lingual. In addition, the dental cavity at the base seems rather shallow. Could be the diminutive size of these teeth - at which the other features like carinae and curvature are often also less marked - and also this first tooth is a bit of a mystery to me... :Confused05:

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett