Coprolite? Possibly?

Elvee

• New Members

Hi all- new user here. I am in Genesee County, NY, and have been rockhounding and fossil hunting since I was big enough to pick up rocks.

I was out in the woods near the neighbor's property- they've dug up a ton of trees and disturbed the earth quite a bit, so it's prime pickings for finding interesting things. I found a few crinoids, some shells, and then I found these two things. I've never found a rock like this before, and I'm honestly stumped. Any help would be appreciated! I think they might be coprolites, based upon what Google has told me, but I'm not sure. (That's why I'm here!) Thanks for the help! They do stick slightly to my tongue. 

This is a shale and flint rich area (my garden is nothing but giant chunks of flint), with occasional granite and jaspers. 

Photos are of three different angles of each piece of.... whatever they are. 

IMG_20240608_130605592.jpg

IMG_20240608_130629212.jpg

IMG_20240608_130638676.jpg

IMG_20240608_132149423_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240608_132201331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240608_132211375_HDR.jpg

Any rock that has spaces in it will stick to the tongue, and not a great idea to lick rocks given where they might have been. ;)

I would expect to see evidence of inclusions for a coprolite, so I am leaning towards no on this one. :(

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members
9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Any rock that has spaces in it will stick to the tongue, and not a great idea to lick rocks given where they might have been. ;)

I would expect to see evidence of inclusions for a coprolite, so I am leaning towards no on this one. :(

I blame my old-school folks for that one lol, the old "bone sticks to tongues" trick, haha. 

Aww, thanks anyway! Any idea on what these might be? 

They are just rocks from what I can surmise looking only a photo. The coloration implies a ferrous mineral makes up a sizable part of these stones.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• New Members
1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

They are just rocks from what I can surmise looking only a photo. The coloration implies a ferrous mineral makes up a sizable part of these stones.

Well darn. Thanks anyway! 

There's all sorts of bits of different things all over this specimen. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were fossils. However from the visible parts of the bits I doubt that there is enough material present to make even a rational guess at what they are. The two toothy-looking things sticking out from the top in the second photo are interesting. Ccould you please try to provide better lit, in-focus photos of that feature?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!