Tips for effective & safe cleaning of Echinoids (Lovenia woodsii)?

RetnuhLissof

Hi folks! I went on my first fossicking expedition and found several Echinoids that I believe are Lovenia woodsii (although I've seen in the forum that newbies like me can confuse them with Lovenia forbesii, so please excuse me if I'm wrong!). 

I've been researching how to clean them up and have seen conflicting information, so wanted to run my plan past you to see if there might be any issues I should think about. I'm thinking of using:

• LUKEWARM DISTILLED WATER (other options include demineralised water or tap water (here's what in my city's, if that makes any difference)—tap water would be easiest, but I've gathered that could be an issue).

• A TOOTHRBUSH to do the initial scrub. 

• TOOTHPICKS to clean specific elements, especially the patterns on the outside. 

My questions are:

1. As a start, is the above ok in terms of being safe and non-damaging for the fossils? 

2. Will these tools be effective enough, or am I underestimating things and should get more specific or strong tools (like a metal pick) or chemicals (like vinegar)? And will I need anything different for the red one (F in the images), which seems to be more solid (although I have no idea why it's different)? 

3. In addition, I would like to clean just one of them up more thoroughly to make a polished necklace for a friend's celebration. I read on the forum that echinoids are a calcium carbonate compound in the structural form of calcite, which is reasonably chemically stable. I've also seen videos showing folks cleaning similar things like sand dollars with a weak hydrogen peroxide (3%) solution, which brightens them up a touch. I was hoping to do this, then to apply a craft lacquer of some sort. I have some other broken pieces I can test this on first, but wanted to run it past you all to see: is that a reasonable plan? 

Thanks in advance! 

20240605_173131.jpg

20240605_130036.jpg

20240605_172917.jpg

20240605_173148.jpg

20240605_173207.jpg

20240605_173255.jpg

20240605_173311.jpg

20240605_173328.jpg

Sea urchins are mostly calcite (when it is not about internal mold), they react to all acids, so it should not use vinegar.

We can see that some are very eroded, but this is the fate of the sea urchins... The underwater toothbrush and toothpick are the first useful tools. Then to better clear in detail you can use dental instruments, but paying attention because they are metallic and it will scratch calcite.

Coco

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

15 hours ago, Coco said:

Sea urchins are mostly calcite (when it is not about internal mold), they react to all acids, so it should not use vinegar.

We can see that some are very eroded, but this is the fate of the sea urchins... The underwater toothbrush and toothpick are the first useful tools. Then to better clear in detail you can use dental instruments, but paying attention because they are metallic and it will scratch calcite.

Coco

Thank you so much! I'll start with the initial plan, and then test any extra implements on scrap pieces. I appreciate the heads up about the vinegar.