Tree Fossil - Lower Cretaceous MD

patelinho7

Hi all,

A week ago, I visited the old locality where I found my first dinosaur track quite a while back now. The locality (close to DC) represents an exposure of the Patuxent Formation, a member of the Early Cretaceous Potomac Group. It consists of siderite-rich gravel beds and frequent clay lenses. The formation is rich with ironstone concretions and sandstones that have well-preserved instances of plant matter as well as the occasional track. Plant matter commonly includes abundant lignite, both preserved in-situ in the exposure as well as concreted onto ironstones, as well as plant impressions and casts preserved in great detail on ironstones.

This locality specifically is far past its prime; it has been graded and destroyed many times severely decreasing productivity. However, it’s on the way home from Dinosaur Park and I have lunch outside occasionally for old times’ sake. That’s when I found this small piece of well-preserved tree in a gravel wash. 

IMG_6561.thumb.jpeg.179579c92bb4469987ba378640fc1a51.jpeg

IMG_6562.thumb.jpeg.753787dcc6d57a64f5e1bf8fb6a02e02.jpeg

IMG_6563.thumb.jpeg.c2a3d5079e9816c0e1b74e85b14fa877.jpegIMG_6564.thumb.jpeg.b2a665443640f45734e9322a2a676eca.jpeg

The specimen is roughly 4 cm long and 2.7 cm wide. I have seen and heard of tree material preserved like this often, but I’ve never seen both the internal structure and external bark present and preserved in this great detail, which is why I wondered if it could be IDed. It seems like it could be some sort of cycad? 

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your input.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

I hesitate because i want it to be cycad but it does look like it to me though i am no expert

• Thank You 1

Does not look like typical cycad material to me.  :unsure: 

However, that appears to be mostly what is found in the area.  LINK

I think the "outer bark" may be slightly decorticated.  Could be a chunk of bald cypress, perhaps. (?)  :unsure:

Can't really say, for sure.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I’ve found a few pieces like this over the years and have always chalked them up as “gymnosperms” but that’s a shot in the dark. 

Great to see you out fossil hunting again! Although your track site might not be as productive as it once was, it seems that it still has some fossils to be found.

I have not explored the early Cretaceous formations of Maryland (though I am eager to do so in the near future) and cannot offer much more than what has been said. As @EMP noted, it may just be a gymnosperm.

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks for the responses so far. It's good to get an idea of what it may be, but I suppose I now need to dig through the literature to find mention of any similar finds. 

20 minutes ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

Great to see you out fossil hunting again! Although your track site might not be as productive as it once was, it seems that it still has some fossils to be found.

I have not explored the early Cretaceous formations of Maryland (though I am eager to do so in the near future) and cannot offer much more than what has been said. As @EMP noted, it may just be a gymnosperm.

Thanks! It is nice to get out again. I have also renewed my search of the Culpeper Basin with fresh ideas and I'm slowly making progress; at the very least, I'm learning more. I'm working on a document that summarizes everything I have learned and observed so far so that I can be more organized and stop forgetting what I find, as well as being able to share my observations with others easier. I may PM you sometime soon when I finish. Hope everything is going well in and out of fossil hunting for you!

• Enjoyed 1