Thuvi.2vk

• New Members

Hello, I went fossil hunting in Essex with a friend, looking for shark teeth in the London Clay, and came across this red shark tooth. I have searched the internet, but no such thing has been found in the UK, or at least posted online. I have seen red shark teeth from the US, in iron rich zone, which could justify the red colour. Can anyone help me identify this. Also I have found small nodules with various pieces, is this a fossil of something or just a non-fossiliferous nodule? I have found crabs in the phospatic nodules before, but this is the first time I come across these.

Just joined the forum although been fossil hunting for year. Looking forward to being part of this community.

Thuvi

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

13 hours ago, Thuvi.2vk said:

IMG_9861.jpg

Infilled borrows?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

• New Members

could be, I have no idea haha. But thank you for your reply.

• New Members

Hello, I went fossil hunting in Essex with a friend, looking for shark teeth in the London Clay, and came across this red shark tooth. I have searched the internet, but no such thing has been found in the UK, or at least posted online. I have seen red shark teeth from the US, usually in iron rich areas, which could justify the red colour. Does anyone have any idea?  Also I have found small nodules with various pieces, is this a fossil of something or just a non-fossiliferous nodule? I have found a crab in the phospatic nodules, but this is the first time I come across these.

It was a good day, considering the short time I had.

Hope anyone has answers haha.

Have a nice day.

Thuvi

IMG_20240528_438.jpg

IMG_9836.thumb.jpg.121558d94c13b2de9f1400358811823f.jpg

IMG_9837.thumb.jpg.087b1e4b650798d96130f2822f7fc57e.jpg

IMG_9861.thumb.jpg.be21dcacf83475615b3249090d00986e.jpg

TOPICS MERGED> ONE IS ENOUGH.  ;)

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That red tooth might be younger (Miocene) depending on the site.   I've seen Miocene and Pleistocene shark teeth from sites in Essex.

Odd colors pop up when you collect long enough or when you're lucky.  Years ago, I was sifting/sorting through some of a friend's Kern County, CA tar pit matrix and I found a red and complete coyote canine with the root.  It was a weird find because every other tooth I've ever found in that stuff was black or brown or weathered from those colors.  

• Enjoyed 1

• New Members
17 minutes ago, siteseer said:

That red tooth might be younger (Miocene) depending on the site.   I've seen Miocene and Pleistocene shark teeth from sites in Essex.

Odd colors pop up when you collect long enough or when you're lucky.  Years ago, I was sifting/sorting through some of a friend's Kern County, CA tar pit matrix and I found a red and complete coyote canine with the root.  It was a weird find because every other tooth I've ever found in that stuff was black or brown or weathered from those colors.  

That's very interesting, thank you very much for your reply. Have a nice day