A Tale of Two Kentucky Paleozoic Sea Bottoms

Jeffrey P

As I wrote in my previous Deep Springs Road Quarry thread, the very next day I was off to Kentucky. Like my other trips there, the purpose was primarily family/social. My father was turning 95. Between spending quality time with family, I was able to visit a couple of my favorite roadcuts exposing Paleozoic marine sediments and collect specimens I don't have access to in New York.

The first site I visited was the very first site I was to acquaint myself with in Kentucky years ago. It is located near the town of Leitchfield, about a half hour from my family in Elizabethtown. Years ago, it was my very first exposure to rocks of the Mississippian Age and it has been a favorite ever since. I've visited this site every time I've been to Kentucky in the past seven years. The site, more specifically, is an Upper Mississippian marine site, the Leitchfield Limestone, Glen Dean Member. Since I've been there last year, they've done a bit of work on the road, installed curbs and a sidewalk, severely restricting the offroad parking situation. It also appears they are planting grass which will limit the collecting area. Fortunately, there was enough room to park my car and the collecting area was still open. The weather was pleasant and sunny as I wandered up and down and across the slopes of weathered shale and limestone exploring and searching for specimens. There were a number of rugose corals present, though most were badly weathered I ended up keeping this one- Zaphrentoides spinulosum:

20221016_155546.jpg

IMG_0024.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Crinoids and byozoans are the most common fossils at Leitchfield. Bryozoans include the iconic corkscrew-shaped Archimedes, so characteristic of Mississippian Age rocks. There was also the branching bryozoan, Tabulipora, and the fronds of fenestrate bryozoans such as Septopora subquadrons:

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Posted (edited)

One might say that crinoids are the main event as their stem pieces, calyx plates, and spines are superabundant. Here is a chunk of matrix, three and a quarter inches wide.  In the second photo, the partial calyx in matrix at the top is most likely Zeacrinites wortheni. The top row in the middle is the basal plate of the crinoid, Acrocrinus shumerdi. On the bottom row left is a basal plate of Onychocrinus pulaskiensis, The next and last photo features specimens of calyx of the crinoid, Agassizicrinus occidentalis. 

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Edited by Jeffrey P
  • Enjoyed 4

In addition to crinoids, blastoids were also abundant. Most were crushed. I ended up keeping a few:

IMG_0006.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

Gastropods tend to be tiny and uncommon.  The first photo, the gastropod on the left is unusually big for the site, almost an inch and a quarter. It appears to be an example of Orthonychia conicum. The next two photos are of the same, so far, unidentified platycerid, just over a quarter inch in diameter. 

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Though they are much less abundant than bryozoans and crinoids, brachiopods are common though most are crushed.  The small specimens on the bottom of the first photo are the spiriferid brachiopods, Reticulariina spinosa. The one on top, in matrix, is Punctospirifer kentuckiensis. The next photo features specimens of the athyrid brachiopod, Cleiothyridina sublamellosa. The next two photos features specimens that I have yet to identify. The last photo features specimens of Composita subquadrata.

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Nice finds!

Cheers!

James

A few days later, I was out again, this time to a roadcut site near Mt. Washington. I don't know the formation, but I do know it is Upper Ordovician, part of the Richmond Group. The weather wasn't so kind that day. There was a big downpour at one point and it was overall pretty muddy. Specimens were abundant in the rocks at the bottom of the cliff, or loose. In one spot the cliff face was literally spitting out fossils. Brachiopods made up over 90% of the fauna here and the vast majority of those were Vilandastrophia ponderosa. I found one split open specimen that was a geode of calcite crystals. I suspect more were like that. 

20211024_104505 (1).jpg

IMG_9980.JPG

IMG_9982.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Another orthid brachiopod, Herbertella alveata is also present, though much less abundant. The one in the middle is the best one I have ever found. The strophomenid brachiopod, Rafinesquina ponderosa were also there, but usually broken and covered with bryozoans. Finally, a single specimen of the strophomenid, Leptaena richmondensis was also collected. 

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9988.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Lastly, I did find a couple of straight-shelled nautiloid pieces, the largest, two and a quarter inches long. In addition, there were a few gastropods and bryozoans. Sorry, no trilobites at either site. Overall, the visit to Kentucky was a good one. Enjoyed myself and added some nice specimens to the collection. Hope you enjoyed this report. Thanks, and have a good one.

IMG_9991.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

IMG_0041.JPG

Is this one not a bivalve? It's a little incomplete so I'll take your word for it whatever you say.

Nice haul all around! I hope you will collect as much as you can from any site that looks like it will soon be uncollectable, if you have the chance/ability.

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Is this one not a bivalve? It's a little incomplete so I'll take your word for it whatever you say.

Nice haul all around! I hope you will collect as much as you can from any site that looks like it will soon be uncollectable, if you have the chance/ability.

I wouldn't rule out a bivalve, but those are super rare at Leitchfield. If it were more complete we would know for sure. I've only found two bivalves at that site, and both look nothing like this. It seems there is very little documented about Mississippian Age bivalves that I can use as resources. I plan to keep researching this. Thanks.

• Enjoyed 1

Cool finds, love the bryozoans. Happy birthday to you father as well, 95 is a real accomplishment! It's a long way from me, but I certainly have Leitchfield on my list, don't have nearly enough Mississippian material  

On 6/11/2024 at 5:06 PM, Jeffrey P said:

I wouldn't rule out a bivalve, but those are super rare at Leitchfield. If it were more complete we would know for sure. I've only found two bivalves at that site, and both look nothing like this. It seems there is very little documented about Mississippian Age bivalves that I can use as resources. I plan to keep researching this. Thanks.

Good, I'm curious. I see what look like 'wings' (a la pectinid) on either corner, but they're mostly gone, so I can't tell if those aren't just something unrelated that's fooling me.

On 6/11/2024 at 7:43 PM, Wrangellian said:

Thanks again for your input. I am now thinking this is a partial Pteriomorph bivalve, most likely Aviculopecten. sp. Quite rare from this site as far as I can tell.  

That's good!  It seems like a fun site to collect. Lots of different goodies.

Great to see you out and collecting! Congrats on some amazing finds!