rickeclectic

Some pix from my June 2024 trip to the great quarry near Kemmerer Wyoming. Tried to identify the fossils as best I could but happy to hear any amendments to these. Included a nice pic of a partial fish with a clear view of the scales. The alleged Priscacara is not the best fossil but it is BIG.  Got lots more smaller stuff, but mostly partials as well.

2406 Kemmerer 01 Phareodus.jpg

2406 Kemmerer 02 Knightia.jpg

2406 Kemmerer 05D Diplomystus.jpg

2406 Kemmerer 06 Priscacara.jpg

2406 Kemmerer 14 amia.jpg

2406 Kemmerer 16 fish with scales showing.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

Are you going to finish prepping out the prisci? I just noticed this may be a cockeralites. I think I’m seeing at least 11 dorsal spines….

too bad the diplomystus on the double fish plate lost the lower half. The top looks pretty good and the exploded fish above it is a great example of fish decomposition.

Edited by Randyw

The back half of the phareodus is pretty nice too!

I think picture # 4 is a diplomystus too isnt it?

Edited by Randyw

All my Green River fish have been gifts or trades or purchases. I'm so envious of you and others who've been able to collect them yourselves! Congratulations.

:tff:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks for all the nice and helpful comments.

I put the names of the fish as I determined them in their file names so if you do a "save as on the picture" you will see that, but in either case, here is what I claimed in order
1. Phareodus

2. Knightia

3. Diplomystus

4. Priscacara (one of the folks in this thread said it is Priscacara Cockerilites and they likely know better than I). Another responders said it was maybe another Diplomystus, but that doesn't seem right to me.

5. Amia

6. TBD

On the Priscacara prep, I think whoever got there before me got the good part of that fish, most of what I have is just an impression of what was left, but I will try to get it to highlight a bit more.

Regarding the decomposition, I really like the "exploded" ones as much as the whole ones, they look like abstract art, and as one of the guys at the quarry said, each one is unique.

Pagurus, get on out there to the A Quarry! It is fun and well worth the trip. It's only a 2+ hour drive from Salt Lake and can be done as a morning trip (get there early, as they only set out a days worth each day). They are great folks and you can get about 100 fish from whole to parts in just a half day. I wrote another entry yesterday on how to get them home if you fly  by air as the first time I went I shipped them UPS and it cost an fin and a gill (ha ha) and some broke and some were lost. My recommended strategy it to pack them well and check them as check-in bags, but you can look it up if you go.

Very nice. Nothing beats splitting shale with lots of limestone in it!

5 hours ago, rickeclectic said:

1. Phareodus

2. Knightia

3. Diplomystus

4. Priscacara (one of the folks in this thread said it is Priscacara Cockerilites and they likely know better than I). Another responders said it was maybe another Diplomystus, but that doesn't seem right to me.

5. Amia

6. TBD

Close!

1)phareodus

2) knightia

3) exploded unknown and diplomystus 

4)diplomystus

5) i dont know possible amia?

6) cockeralites 

Thanks for the revision RandyW! Appreciate you.

40 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

#4 is a Phareodus. The pectoral fins are a dead giveaway. :thumbsu:

LOL I thought the anal fin looked too long for a phareodus  but there is no way I'm arguing with the maestro of grf fish!

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

LOL I thought the anal fin looked too long for a phareodus  but there is no way I'm arguing with the maestro of grf fish!

Aww, come on, I like it when people argue with me. :P

The caudal fin on this fish is also slightly forked whereas on Diplomystus, it's deeply forked.

18 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The caudal fin on this fish is also slightly forked whereas on Diplomystus, it's deeply forked.

• Enjoyed 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I thought this thread was going to be 2,406 pictures of GRF fish!

Don

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks again for the re-clarification (thanks Ptychodus04). As for hundreds of Fish pix. If you want them, I have a bunch of pix of partial fish fossils from this (June 24) trip! I only posted the most interesting ones. Also, being relatively new to using the forum, I am willing to put them in a gallery or etc. but not sure how. Is that something folks would want? I don't want to muddy the site with a bunch of pix noone really wants to see.

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You’re wrong!  You’re so so wrong! LOL! There I argued with you! Do you feel better now? Just kidding now that you’ve pointed it out I can see it’s a phareodus clear as day! Thats what i get for looking at the pictures on my phone instead of waiting until I get home and can look at it on the bigger iPad screen. Sorry for the mid-identification on #4 @rickeclectic. And we love photos!

Okay Randy W. You said you love photos. Here are a few more from the fish trip. I have not identified these fish yet, but expect most are knightia or diplomystus. Any Id help greatly appreciated.  Still need to do some prep on some.

Fish 0029 Knightia  Lincoln County WY s.jpg

Fish 0034  xxx Lincoln County WY s.jpg

Fish 0055  xxx Lincoln County WY s.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

And here are some from my previous trip a year or so ago. There's part of a stingray in this bunch (first timer's luck).

Fish 0003 Lincoln County WY s.jpg

Fish 0009 Lincoln County WY s.jpg

Fish 0012 Lincoln County WY s.jpg

Fish 0025 stingray Lincoln County WY s.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

• New Members

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your finds.  I've spent many happy hours splitting the rocks at the sites around Kemmerer.  Most of the time I found partial Knightias, but every once in a while I would find something surprising.  Always a pleasure!