When I caught wind of @jnoun11's traveling exhibit coming to Canada, British Columbia of all places, I made sure to book it down to the Vancouver Aquarium immediately! It was the most incredible display of Moroccan fossils I have ever seen and far greater than any permanent museum galleries! Of course I spent most of the time at the mosasaur section, finally getting the chance to see the marine reptiles I work on fully reconstructed in all their glory! The best part was seeing the species of mosasaur @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon @Praefectus and I named on display for the whole world! Such a great feeling! The skull of Hainosaurus boubker stood proud along side Thalassotitan atrox and the skeletons of Mosasaurus beaugei, Halisaurus arambourgi and Zarafasaura oceanis (plus some turtles). The murals in the back illustrated the diverse community of the phosphates in an active, warm sea environment which made you feel like you were right there swimming with them! The info boards were great and very informative with a fun "Monster Level" gimmick to show how fierce these predators where in their environments and times! Unfortunately Hain and Thalass were still under their pre-2022 names of Tylosaurus and Prognathodon anceps (plus using their smaller size estimates) which hopefully one day will be updated. :fingerscrossed:

I purchased a seasons pass just to revisit this display several times this summer while it is still around! Here are some photos of the mosasaur section (plus Spinosaurus) I took with my good camera!

IMG_8475 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8403 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8391 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8235 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8219 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8214 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8200 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8175 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8137 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8373 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8444 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8445 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8460 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8466 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8468 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8537 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8561 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8552 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8555 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8572 - Copy.JPG

• Enjoyed 13
  • Thank You 1

Great photographs, Brennan! I hope this exhibit will one day make its way to Western Europe as well, so I'll get a chance to see it for myself! 🙏🏻

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I've never seen a Spinosaurus mount but I want to so bad. Interesting they decided to go with the parabolic sail shape rather than the M-shaped one.

• Thank You 1

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forces have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner

I think with the quality of this skeletons and skulls, this pictures are nice material to compare with the reconstructed Moroccan 3d skulls. Sometime when you can compare things side by side you start seeing that maybe that skull that you thought it was a high quality skull it's not.

• Thank You 1

These would be really nice to see in person.

Expecially the Moroccan mosasaurs.

Hopefully some day.

• Thank You 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Aquatic reptiles are my favorite fossils.

Thank you.

• Thank You 1