selenite star

• New Members

I found this 152mm x 101mm x 25mm piece of what appears to be a limestone fossil. Other minerals found nearby were chert and loads of limestone. Found in Wyoming on Medicine Mountain on the side of the road where there is plenty of rock fall every year.  Scales/scutes range from 6.35mm in oval length to 19.05mm, all scales/scutes are about 6.35mm in width and apart from each other.

The closest scale/scute pattern I have seen on the internet is the Captorhinus lizard, very well preserved in a cave. Anyone have any ideas?  I appreciate you all!

Screenshot_20240616_181609_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20240616_181554_WhatsApp.jpg

Sorry, these don't appear to be scales. And Captorhinus (not a lizard) had much finer skin detail that would never produce scales this big: those you've seen are extremely tiny. 

Do you know how old this is? That could help the ID process. I don't recognize it, but it could be fossil shells or some kind of trace fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members

@Carl. Thank you for your response,

So from the geological map I've found, it's from the paleozoic.  Two options from where I found it could be from Permian Phosphoria Formation and related rock or just
Permian, Pennsylvanian, and Mississippian 
From Tensleep Sandstone and Amsden Formations in north eastern Wyoming.  Appreciate your feedback!

1 hour ago, selenite star said:

@Carl. Thank you for your response,

So from the geological map I've found, it's from the paleozoic.  Two options from where I found it could be from Permian Phosphoria Formation and related rock or just
Permian, Pennsylvanian, and Mississippian 
From Tensleep Sandstone and Amsden Formations in north eastern Wyoming.  Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks! It's truly a bizarre specimen and isn't jogging any memories. I'm still thinking shells or trace fossils, but it could also be purely geological. Very weird.

I can honestly say... no idea.  It looks more geological, but certainly not Captorhinid scales, as stated above.