Adhesive Recommendations for Niobrara Chalk Fossils

JFPennsylvanian

• New Members

Hey all. I just returned from a trip to the chalk beds of western Kansas and I was wondering what kind of adhesives are recommended when repairing fragile fossils. A lot of what I’ll be working on are fish vertebrae, but there is also a mosasaur jaw section that needs some repair as it is in two pieces. The vertebrae especially need work as some are beginning to crumble. Any and all help is appreciated, and if I need to include more specifics about the fossils let me know.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My advice is to consolidate with Paraloid B72. I would recommend starting with a roughly 2% solution and going up to 5% if that’s too thin. You can go thicker if needed. Resist the temptation to use cyanoacrylate unless you want to make yourself miserable trying to prep it.

Edited by Ptychodus04

• New Members
1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My advice is to consolidate with Paraloid B72. I would recommend starting with a roughly 2% solution and going up to 5% if that’s too thin. You can go thicker if needed. Resist the temptation to use cyanoacrylate unless you want to make yourself miserable trying to prep it.

Thank you! Just to make sure, the 2% and 5% is in reference to how much solvent I’m using with the Paraloid B72?

1 hour ago, JFPennsylvanian said:

Thank you! Just to make sure, the 2% and 5% is in reference to how much solvent I’m using with the Paraloid B72?

Reverse that...2-5% is for the Paraloid pellets to 98-95% acetone.  Anything like 10, 15, 20 % Paraloid pellets and you get a thicker clear coat of plastic on your fossil.  Practice starting on matrix or rough, ugly fossil specimens.  You will notice a difference quickly from 2% and 10%.  Think of clear nail polish when you up the Paraloid amount.  Thick and sticky.  But it can be removed with straight acetone.

1 hour ago, KansasFossilHunter said:

Here's a link to the site where I buy my B-72 from:

https://www.conservationresources.com/shop/archival-storage-supplies/paraloid-b-72-acryloid-b-72/

Let me know if anyone has a better deal elsewhere. 

The 1/2 pound and 1 pound pricing is comparable to Talas.com, where I usually get my Paraloid. The 5lb (my typical quantity) is a significantly better price. Thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 1