Moroccan Trilos

CURT

Has anyone heard of a dealer on Ebay called Sahara Imports. He's based in Chicago and has an Ebay store called Gifts From the Past. He claims his stuff is authentic and that he collects and preps himself, but with all the fakes, well, you know. His bidding starts at $9.99 for some pretty hot species, and you know what they say. If it's too good to be true...... What do you think? Curt

I've got a good number of trilobites from that seller and mine all appear to be authentic. You can tell if they are made with resin by checking the trilos with your teeth. Also if you take a small stone and tap the side it should make a sound that sounds close to what the matrix sounds like.

I've also questioned the authenticness of their fossils so I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't seen any small air holes in my Trilos and most of the rocks are glued back together which is a good sign. That means they had to break the rock to get to the trilo. They look real to me. I'll have to post some pics when I get my camera back.

Another thing is that I haven't seen a duplicate of the same animal twice on their site. Ever time if it is the same species it is in a different pose. I think if they were making fakes we'd have a few repeats. at least this is true of the smaller specimens. I guess we need to get a UV light. Can anyone recomend a type of UV light for me. Will anyone work, even the ones that kill germs??? Send me a link to a good deal if you find one, please!

Hey Curt, pm me if you see a specific Trilo you want from Sahara Imports so we don't end up bidding the price up on each other. They normally will put up a few of the same species the next week. I'm looking for a Harpes.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

For $20, I'd expect it to be at least heavily restored. Nice looking display piece in any case.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are a few of the Trilos I've gotten from Sahara imports.

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a UV/blacklight to check to see if the fossil from this seller where made of resin and there seems to be no foulplay. They are real. As far as I can tell :D

Crude prep hurts my eyes. After they get out of jail for selling fakes, they should be put back in jail for ruining reals.

(Is that wrong?)

I've heard pof the seller. seen their stuff on ebay , was going to buy some trilos but never did. The price seemed suspicious. But i couldnt tell from the pictures if the fossils were fake for sure or not.

I've heard pof the seller. seen their stuff on ebay , was going to buy some trilos but never did. The price seemed suspicious. But i couldnt tell from the pictures if the fossils were fake for sure or not.

I've got a few of his fossils and as far as I can tell they are real. I purchase a UV light and their is no difference between the fossil and the matrix. I also emailed him about fake fossils coming out of Morocco and he assures that his pieces are fossilized. That's if you take him at his word. He does tel you if a piece has been restored. Must of his pieces are glued back together, because this is hoe you get them out of the rock. I know the prices sound too good to be true and a couple of Crocodile skulls have poped up on his store as well as a few KEICHOUSAURUS I'm suspicious about them, mainly the Croc skull.

What do you think???

I've got a few of his fossils and as far as I can tell they are real. I purchase a UV light and their is no difference between the fossil and the matrix. I also emailed him about fake fossils coming out of Morocco and he assures that his pieces are fossilized. That's if you take him at his word. He does tel you if a piece has been restored. Must of his pieces are glued back together, because this is hoe you get them out of the rock. I know the prices sound too good to be true and a couple of Crocodile skulls have poped up on his store as well as a few KEICHOUSAURUS I'm suspicious about them, mainly the Croc skull.

What do you think???

Don't buying Crocodile Skull from Moroco, the majority of them are fake, that one for example.

With Keichousaurus from China I think happened some similar.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think???

The false croc head is made with paris plaster, and the teeth are real Mosasaur from the phosphatic mines in the southwest of Morocco.It is very common to see this fakes.

But I have seen two or three real ones from the phosphatic mines, and they are complete different in texture, colour.....