Glyptotherium or Holmesina osteoderm?

old bones

Yikes! I have had to be away from the computer for a spell due to unforseen circumstances, so let me catch up…

@Harry Pristis Harry, I actually have that book! It is a PDF version in my extensive reference library and I studied it and many others before even posting my find. Thanks for all the documentation!

Screenshot2024-06-25at5_52_44AM.thumb.jpg.030381fb4cfef14007b8d255b9cc7f35.jpg

Also in my library is this book as a PDF. If anyone would like to have them, please PM me.

Screenshot2024-06-25at6_48_27AM.thumb.jpg.13c3b36f2be4d663b9c4c1cb659c0eba.jpg

I actually thought I had armadillo originally based on my own research due to the thickness of the osteoderm, (and yes, I have read that they changed in thickness according to the season). But I have not collected enough of either animal to be able to be confident identifying an unusual shaped osteoderm.

I really appreciated all the photos of other Glyptotherium and armadillo osteoderms!

My brain, stores images like these for further use.

Photos with actual measurements are super helpful in determining difference between two so similar sets of armor.

Thanks to @Harry Pristis Harry and @Meganeura Daniel and @Shellseeker Jack for their input and for taking the time to post photos of their osteoderms.

If, and when I receive an answer from Rachel Narducci, I will post it to this thread as I believe that it is helpful to get opinions from multiple sources.

And this thread should be a resource for others having similar questions.

I can accept that the origin of my specimen is probably always going to be an educated guess due to its water worn condition, odd body position, and lack of definitive characteristic.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

1 hour ago, Brandy Cole said:

a confirmed ID from an expert in the field [of xenarthran anatomy]

Please!  That's not the case here.  We don't know what Ms. Narducci confirmed.  And Ms. Narducci has no special interest in xenarthrans, according to her profile.

I try to deal in facts, disciplined logic, not snark . . . I'm uncertain why there is a need for a generalized caution to be "respectful." 

Disagreements are inevitable . . . that's when evidence and logic must be respected.  There will be disappointments, maybe even hurt feelings when one argument prevails.  If you find someone's posts disagreeable, it's simple to block that member . . . that's what I do.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

16 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I'm uncertain why there is a need for a generalized caution to be "respectful." 

It can be seen as disrespectful to accuse a member of highjacking a thread when he has made a good faith effort to provide examples for comparison.  Providing comparison examples is a necessary part of the learning process for us all, which sometimes even allows us to reevaluate the basis of our own ID's.

In any event, I believe this thread has showcased a tremendous amount of information from our knowledgeable members on the differences between holmesina and glyptodont osteoderms, and it seems we've reached the end of the usefulness of the discussion. 

This thread will now be locked.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

• Brandy Cole locked this topic